Author Topic: remember contact sheet order  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Camera Nera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
remember contact sheet order
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »
Hello every one.

I hope that I did not miss the menu point that would solve my problem but until now I haven't found smtg like that and the research I made among the posts with some keywords did not help me neither.

Ok, so here I go:

What I like a lot in PM's contact sheets, is that you can shift the thumbnails as much as you like to re-arrange them. I use this a lot for a quick and simple overview, rather than putting colors or stars.

But when I close the contact sheet (sometimes simply by inadvertence) and re-open it, the pictures are in the original order (alphanumerically) and the way I ordered them is "forgotten".

So my question is if it would be possible to save the own organized arrangement ? If not, is this foreseen in the future?

Thanks!
Noukita

Offline louster1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: remember contact sheet order
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
at the top of contact sheet where it says Capture Time (at least on mine), pull down to arrangement. I use it a lot.
L

Offline Camera Nera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
Hi Louster1950

Thanks  a lot for your contribution.
Actually I already have as a standard preference "by arrangement" on at the menu bar on the top, like you mentionned.

In fact, my problem is not how to arrange thumbnails, but how to keep the arrangement saved (if this is possible), so that when I open again the contact sheet an hour or a day later, I get the same arrangement as when I closed it before (of course, as long at the file hasnt itself changed).

Anyway, thanks again.
Noukita

Offline louster1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
I just set arrangement as my default, then rearranged order of photos and quit PhotoMechanic. When I reopened the same contact sheet, the pictures were in same arrangement as the way I left them while quitting.
This might be a problem for a real expert.
Sorry I don't know much in PM other than just what I need to know.

Louie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:53:06 PM »
Noukita,

Thanks  a lot for your contribution.
Actually I already have as a standard preference "by arrangement" on at the menu bar on the top, like you mentionned.

In fact, my problem is not how to arrange thumbnails, but how to keep the arrangement saved (if this is possible), so that when I open again the contact sheet an hour or a day later, I get the same arrangement as when I closed it before (of course, as long at the file hasnt itself changed).

What version of PM are you running?  What OS are you running PM on?

Is the contact sheet browsing a single folder or have you opened multiple folders in the same contact sheet tab?  If so, you have to use the 'Remember folders...' command on the File menu and then later open the set of folders from the newly created Favorite.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:36 AM »

Is the contact sheet browsing a single folder or have you opened multiple folders in the same contact sheet tab?  If so, you have to use the 'Remember folders...' command on the File menu and then later open the set of folders from the newly created Favorite.

-Kirk

This would be great.
In order for this to work the folder must be saved as a favorite?
Also if you clear your cache on close, will you lose this?

Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:51:33 AM »
Marc,

This would be great.

The feature already exists.

Quote from: mbbphoto
In order for this to work the folder must be saved as a favorite?

Multiple folders with Arrangements need to be saved as a Multi-Folder Favorite via Remember Folders...

Quote from: mbbphoto
Also if you clear your cache on close, will you lose this?

No, the Disk Cache has nothing to do with Favorites.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
Kirk,
Now, if I am in the process of editing and converting to jpegs, in DPP for instance, new files are added to one of the folders contained in the Multi-Folder favorite. In this case, do I have to save again via Remember Folders?
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »
Luiz,

Now, if I am in the process of editing and converting to jpegs, in DPP for instance, new files are added to one of the folders contained in the Multi-Folder favorite. In this case, do I have to save again via Remember Folders?

No, the changes should automatically get saved to the existing Multi-Folder Favorite.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
Indeed, I think the Multi-Folder favorite thing is one of the best features of PM's browsing capabilities...
Rds,

-Luiz Muzzi