Author Topic: Bought new Mac - Need to switch user  (Read 4368 times)

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Bought new Mac - Need to switch user
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:55:40 PM »
I did a board search and some googling, and I was not able to find an answer to my question - so I hope it hasn't been asked too many times before.

I bought a new Mac computer, and I used the Migration assistant to transfer all my stuff across. No problem opening Photo Mechanic, but the user that is referenced in the Navigator is the user from the old computer. Is there a way to "hard-set" Photo Mechanic to the user on my new computer? FWIW, it's not a problem navigating to the new user, but it sure would be nice if the correct user could be displayed by default.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks very much
Joe

PM 4.6.7
MacBook Pro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bought new Mac - Need to switch user
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
Joe,

I did a board search and some googling, and I was not able to find an answer to my question - so I hope it hasn't been asked too many times before.

I bought a new Mac computer, and I used the Migration assistant to transfer all my stuff across. No problem opening Photo Mechanic, but the user that is referenced in the Navigator is the user from the old computer. Is there a way to "hard-set" Photo Mechanic to the user on my new computer? FWIW, it's not a problem navigating to the new user, but it sure would be nice if the correct user could be displayed by default.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  Maybe it's your previous Finder Sidebar items?

You can always disable them and quit and then re-enable them.  Just right-click on any item in the Navigator and then choose Preferences from the contextual menu that appears.  From there you can enable or disable the Sidebar items.

-Kirk

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:36 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks very much for the reply.

When I opened up PM after having made the switch to the new computer, the navigator pane looked like this.

I then disabled viewing for the "belmaati" folder which was my username on my old computer.

I then get this navigator view, which looks right I think.

I then go an enable navigator viewing for the "belmaati1" user, which is the username on the new computer.

I then get the same view as in the first screen shot.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:58 AM »

When I opened up PM after having made the switch to the new computer, the navigator pane looked like this.

What does your Finder Sidebar look like on your new system (in the Finder)?

-Kirk

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »

OK, I'm guessing a little bit here, but I think what has happened is that when you made your migration from the old OS to the new one, the file that PM looks for is from your old OS installation and is out of date/invalid for the new OS.  Until I can truly figure out what is going on, I'd recommend just not showing the Sidebar items, and just add your home folder (/Users/belmaati1/) to the Favorites instead.

-Kirk

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »
OK, thanks for the help. Appreciate it.