Author Topic: Country code  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Country code
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
Is it possible to select a country from the drop-down menu in the IPTC panel and the corresponding code be selected automatically?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Country code
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
Luiz,

Is it possible to select a country from the drop-down menu in the IPTC panel and the corresponding code be selected automatically?

Which drop-down menu?  The Country menu?  There is no mapping between the Country menu (you could literally type anything in there if you'd like) and the Country Code combo box popup.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »
Yes, that is exactly what I thought...
It would be nice if you could select the country from a list and the country code would be automatically selected.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »
Luiz,

Yes, that is exactly what I thought...
It would be nice if you could select the country from a list and the country code would be automatically selected.

The difficulty is that country names are different in various languages so how would PM know what to do with a country name that you entered in your language that PM knows nothing about?

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
I understand what you mean...but I think that if you have to select the country name from a list instead of typing it, it would work fine.
I believe it should be easy for anyone to understand that the country name is in the same language as the programs, like, for instance:
in Portuguese, Brasil (with an "s");
in English, Brazil (with a "z").
This way, I think PM would come with different country lists according to the program language.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »
This way, I think PM would come with different country lists according to the program language.

Hi Luiz!
As far as I know PM is currently only available in English. Or do you mean the OS language?
I am using a German OS (MAC) but I am also often required to have all the captions (incl. country and code) to be provided in English.
If the OS language will be the trigger in how the spelling of the countries is listed I will not vote for this.

To continue you example:
In German it would be Brasilien.

Better example in my case would be this one:
English: Austria
German: Österreich

And I am going to avoid the use of special characters. So it would be Oesterreich

BR
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »
I use IMatch for cataloguing. In the IPTC editor, when you select the country in a dropdown list the country code is updated automatically, which is very convenient. The binding is bivocal (selecting DEU writes Germany to the country tag).

The list is English only, which is fine for me (since France is France ;)) but there could be an entry in the general Preferences allowing aliases (Germany <-> Deutschland etc...) for country names and hence always writing the correct country code.

Francis

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 05:26:52 AM »
Probably the easiest way would be to supply a plain text file like the code replacement ones that would have the short code and the county name. In basic setup it would be the standard English names of countries. If anyone wants to use anything different then he/she only needs to edit the file to his/her liking.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »

Hi Luiz!
As far as I know PM is currently only available in English. Or do you mean the OS language?
I am using a German OS (MAC) but I am also often required to have all the captions (incl. country and code) to be provided in English.
If the OS language will be the trigger in how the spelling of the countries is listed I will not vote for this.

To continue you example:
In German it would be Brasilien.

Better example in my case would be this one:
English: Austria
German: Österreich

And I am going to avoid the use of special characters. So it would be Oesterreich

BR
Sven

Hi, Sven
What I meant was to use PM's language, at the moment, only English. I think that it is understandable that the country name is in the same language that you use for PM. But, now I see that it might create a problem for some photgraphers to have the country written in English when ithe rest of their IPTC info is in another language...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »
Hi, Szurkebarat
I think your idea is perfect, if it is possible to be implemented.
The basic setup would be the country name in English and if the photographer needs to, he or she can change it to a different language by means of a code replacement.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi