Author Topic: Mass Import of IPTC from CSV or Spreadsheet  (Read 7809 times)

Offline klkuhn30

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mass Import of IPTC from CSV or Spreadsheet
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »
I have Photo Mechanic ver 4.6.6 and operate Windows 7 home premium.

I am trying to Import a mass spreadsheet (CSV) of information and assign it to the IPTC field in PM. All of the photos have different information. Is there any way to import and assign this information with Photo Mechanic?

Thanks,

New User...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mass Import of IPTC from CSV or Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:58:37 PM »
I have Photo Mechanic ver 4.6.6 and operate Windows 7 home premium.

I am trying to Import a mass spreadsheet (CSV) of information and assign it to the IPTC field in PM. All of the photos have different information. Is there any way to import and assign this information with Photo Mechanic?

It's hard to say right off.  Can you post a few rows of your data so we can see what it looks like?

-Kirk

Offline klkuhn30

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
They are just general Headings from a sheet, I have about 200,000 photos that have info in the sheet but I need to combine the info with the photo. Headings are Keywords, captions , date and photographer.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
They are just general Headings from a sheet, I have about 200,000 photos that have info in the sheet but I need to combine the info with the photo. Headings are Keywords, captions , date and photographer.

How do you know what information goes with each image?
Is there a column in the spreadsheet that lists the names of each image?

-Kirk

Offline klkuhn30

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:15 AM »
Yes there is a part number column. Every Photo is named with a part number though irfanview. I also am trying to find out if you can import a photo from a url.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »
Yes there is a part number column. Every Photo is named with a part number though irfanview. I also am trying to find out if you can import a photo from a url.

Import from a URL?  No.

Can you please post one row of your data?  If it is reasonably formatted and the name can be derived from the first column, then the IPTC Stationery Pad in conjunction with Code Replacement should be able to 'import' your metadata and apply it to the proper photos.

-Kirk

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:32 AM »

Import from a URL?  No.

Can you please post one row of your data?  If it is reasonably formatted and the name can be derived from the first column, then the IPTC Stationery Pad in conjunction with Code Replacement should be able to 'import' your metadata and apply it to the proper photos.

-Kirk

I'm not the OP but I have the same problem/need -- to import metadata from a spreadsheet (it's Excel now but easy enough to convert to CSV or whatever) into a group of images. Key value would be the filename, then I want to import data for keywords (some have a lot), copyright, author, title, description, etc. I realize the names of the fields may not match exactly, but that seems like it would be easy to fix too.
The question is how to do the process. The number of images involved could be anywhere from a few to several hundred.
Below are two lines of data as examples: first row is the field names, second row is the data.
Filename   Date Photographed   Artistname   Caption   Keywords
00002AI21767.JPG   08/08/2007   Joe Blow   Woman standing under Chinese umbrella in park   20-25 years, 20s, Arms raised, Asian, Asian Ethnicity, Back lit, Back-lit, Chinese, Chinese Ethnicity, Color, Color Image, Colour, Colour Image, Day, Daytime, Far eastern, Female, Flirt, Flirtation, Flirtatious, Flirting, Flirty, Free Time, Front view, Glad, Happiness, Happy, Head shot, Healthy Lifestyle, Healthy living, Human, Human being, Joy, Joyful, Lady, Leisure, Leisurely, Looking at camera, Low angle, Low angle view, Mid twenties, One, One Person, One person only, Only Women, Outdoor, Outside, Parasol, Parasols, People, Person, Photography, Portrait, Portraiture, Raised, Recreation, Relaxation, Sensual, Sensuality, Sexuality, Sexy, Single Object, Smile, Smiling, Spare Time, Standing, Thai Ethnicity, Thirties, Time Off, Twenties, Twenty, Umbrella, Vertical, Waist up, Waist-up, Woman, Women, Young Adult, Young adult

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:13:57 AM »
I'm not the OP but I have the same problem/need -- to import metadata from a spreadsheet (it's Excel now but easy enough to convert to CSV or whatever) into a group of images. Key value would be the filename, then I want to import data for keywords (some have a lot), copyright, author, title, description, etc. I realize the names of the fields may not match exactly, but that seems like it would be easy to fix too.
The question is how to do the process. The number of images involved could be anywhere from a few to several hundred.
Below are two lines of data as examples: first row is the field names, second row is the data.
Filename   Date Photographed   Artistname   Caption   Keywords
00002AI21767.JPG   08/08/2007   Joe Blow   Woman standing under Chinese umbrella in park   20-25 years, 20s, Arms raised, Asian, Asian Ethnicity, Back lit, Back-lit, Chinese, Chinese Ethnicity, Color, Color Image, Colour, Colour Image, Day, Daytime, Far eastern, Female, Flirt, Flirtation, Flirtatious, Flirting, Flirty, Free Time, Front view, Glad, Happiness, Happy, Head shot, Healthy Lifestyle, Healthy living, Human, Human being, Joy, Joyful, Lady, Leisure, Leisurely, Looking at camera, Low angle, Low angle view, Mid twenties, One, One Person, One person only, Only Women, Outdoor, Outside, Parasol, Parasols, People, Person, Photography, Portrait, Portraiture, Raised, Recreation, Relaxation, Sensual, Sensuality, Sexuality, Sexy, Single Object, Smile, Smiling, Spare Time, Standing, Thai Ethnicity, Thirties, Time Off, Twenties, Twenty, Umbrella, Vertical, Waist up, Waist-up, Woman, Women, Young Adult, Young adult

CSV wouldn't work, but Tab Separated Values (TSV) should work fine.  Your example looks like it has tabs between the columns.  The keywords with commas in between might work as well though I haven't tested it to be certain.

Basically you would import your file in as a Code Replacement file, then use the IPTC Stationery Pad like so (sorry, no way to do the date):

In Caption you would enter (assuming '/' is your delimiter choice):

/{filename}#4/

In Photographer you would enter:

/{filename}#3/

In Keywords you would enter:

/{filename}#5/

Then you would apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to your selected photos.

HTH,

-Kirk