Author Topic: Code files for all NFL, NHL, NCAA football teams from espn.com extracted data  (Read 14650 times)

Offline gmstone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
For those of you familiar with the script, it has been updated to include NHL teams.  I will implement NBA within a week or two.

For those of you unfamiliar with the script, basically it extracts team rosters real time off of espn.com and for each player will generate the following options:

d88   Eric Lindros
pd88   center Eric Lindros
td88   Dallas Stars Eric Lindros
tpd88   Dallas Stars center Eric Lindros
d88n   Eric Lindros (88)
pd88n   center Eric Lindros (88)
td88n   Dallas Stars Eric Lindros (88)
tpd88n   Dallas Stars center Eric Lindros (88)

where "d" is the team code you specify.  In this example I used 'd' for Dallas, however, I could have used 'dal' or 's' for Stars, etc.  The 't' code will cause the team name to be included.  The 'p' code will cause the player's position to be inserted and the 'n' code causes the player's jersey number to be appended to his name.  You have the option of including the jersey number either in the format shown above using parentheses or with a pound sign, i.e. #88.

Url is: http://stopactionsports.com/extract.php

Offline gmstone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have received a couple of questions regarding the use of the script from some who have not used it before.  I should have pointed out in the previous post that basic details on how the script works can be found in the release notes:

http://stopactionsports.com/extract_notes.php

Offline Melissa Wade

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks for doing this.

Offline dmwierz

• View Profile
Mike,

This is way cool. Works with Safari in a Mac environment, BTW. NCAA Hoops on the way?

Dennis
http://www.pbase.com/dmwierz45/sports_shots

Offline Patrick McPartland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Three cheers!!!!!  :o :o
I just started shooting the Bills this year and I was making my own code replacements and cutting my captioning time in half. With this I will be done and drinking coffee while the rest of the photo pool sweats it out. Yee Haa!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Offline kdshimada

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thank you!!!!

Offline btphtog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
gmstone,

Are you planning on updating the rosters this year?  Great job by the way. 

Offline keydet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
btphtog,

That's the beauty of it...doesn't need to be updated.  It's based on the current rosters on ESPN.com, so just go to the link, click the sport, fill out the info, and your code files are generated.  I just generated the file for tomorrow's game, sweet!

Chuck

Offline PShizzy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
ESPN's roster may not be very accurate. I've noticed that there have been a few discrepancies between the espn rosters and the actual game rosters, with regards to NCAA Football.

Obviously fact checking and making sure your captions are accurate is important, but I wonder if maybe another sports website may offer a more current or updated roster (SI seems to be very accurate, but I wonder if it's compatible with the extraction that is being done to create the file).

Offline dmwierz

• View Profile
Max (PShizzy),

I have also noticed this. I had the old "two NCAA players with the same number" problem at the Notre Dame/USC game a couple weeks ago, and also had some players whose numbers worn were different than what was downloaded. The ESPN roster had them listed one way, and the school's roster (and correspondingly, the number they actually wore in the game) had it a different way.

Dennis

Offline keydet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Well, with any game, there's almost ALWAYS going to be at least one roster discrepancy from one game to the next.  But it's sure a lot easier to double-check and edit, if required, an automatically generated list than typing it in by hand, don't you think?