Author Topic: PM Hangs when tasking back to preview window  (Read 9437 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Re: PM Hangs when tasking back to preview window
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »

Dual monitors should not make any difference.  I have three monitors on my development system and the resume behavior is dependent on how quickly a given set of folders can be scanned for filesystem information.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Out of curiosity, what initiates PM's "resume behavior" causing a re-scan of filesystem info?  I have 4-5 other programs running alongside PM and I can switch back and forth between them and PM shows no delay and I do not see any evidence that PM is scanning anything.  I currently have 3 contact sheets open totalling over 8000 files in maybe 100 different folders, mostly CR2s with some JPGs, ranging from about 3MB to 18MB in size.  I can go from tab to tab in PM and the program shows no delay displaying previews or thumbs or performing other work such as keywording and I can go from thumbs to previews with no delay and then go back and forth to other progams with no delay.

PM takes a little time (seconds) to generate all the thumbs if I open a big contact sheet, say 2-3000 images or more, but otherwise it is rocket fast.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Hangs when tasking back to preview window
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »
Bill,

Dual monitors should not make any difference.  I have three monitors on my development system and the resume behavior is dependent on how quickly a given set of folders can be scanned for filesystem information.

-Kirk

Out of curiosity, what initiates PM's "resume behavior" causing a re-scan of filesystem info?  I have 4-5 other programs running alongside PM and I can switch back and forth between them and PM shows no delay and I do not see any evidence that PM is scanning anything.  I currently have 3 contact sheets open totalling over 8000 files in maybe 100 different folders, mostly CR2s with some JPGs, ranging from about 3MB to 18MB in size.  I can go from tab to tab in PM and the program shows no delay displaying previews or thumbs or performing other work such as keywording and I can go from thumbs to previews with no delay and then go back and forth to other progams with no delay.

PM takes a little time (seconds) to generate all the thumbs if I open a big contact sheet, say 2-3000 images or more, but otherwise it is rocket fast.

If you leave PM for more than a few seconds then it will rescan.   Otherwise it will act as if you hadn't left it at all.

-Kirk