Author Topic: Lion and Keywords  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Lion and Keywords
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
I have upgraded to OSX Lion, and done a clean install.  I reinstalled PM (and the other programs I wanted) from my Time Machine backup on Time Capsule.  I had to enter the registration details, which was fine.

Things are mostly working fine, but I have not been able to import my keywords or other PM preferences.

Time Machine cannot find my com.camerabits preference file, even though it was clearly there in the past.

I also have a bootable Snow Leopard drive which was mirrored to my startup drive just before I downloaded Lion.  I can find the com.camerabits preference file on that.  However, I cannot restore or import that file to my MacPro on which I installed Lion.

Any suggestions (preferably detailed) as to how to get back my keywords and other camerabits preferences would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Lion and Keywords
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Your preferences should be in ~/Library/Preferences

However, remember that Lion hides the Library directory by default so you may need to un-hide it first. To have the finder (and hence time machine) show hidden files, start the Terminal application and run the following commands:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES
killAll Finder

Now you can enter time machine and look for the files in Library/Preferences.

To disable showing hidden files, run the following commands:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool NO
killAll Finder

If you want to permanently show the Library (without showing all other hidden files), run:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

If you want to just temporarily access the Library in Finder, press the option key when selecting the "Go" menu; an item called Library will then turn up.

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:04:59 AM »
Thanks, Hayo, but when I enter the first command in Terminal I get   Unexpected argument killAll; leaving defaults unchanged.

Also, I am not sure where the Go menu is.

When I go to Macintosh HD in the Finder, I already get Applications, Library, Systems and Users to choose from.  Library has a file for Preferences, and that includes some Apple preferences and also some Adobe, Microsoft and Xrite preferences.  Is there another Library that I need to access?

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
Hi, Hayo, since trying that Terminal command, I now have a file on my Desktop called .DS_Store.  If I move it to trash it immediately disappears.  Is there a way I can get rid of this?

Thanks.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
Hi Andrew,

I guess you got the hidden files to show  ;)

The file .DS_Store is such a file and every directory (viewed with the finder) will have one, including your desktop.

By disabling showing the hidden files with
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool NO
killAll Finder

you'll get rid of this file too.

The Go menu is in the menu bar when the Finder is active (if you don't have any finder windows open, simply click the desktop; that'll make the Finder active as well).

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 05:48:52 AM »
Thanks, Hayo, sorry for the delay, I have been away.

Andrew