Author Topic: Syncing Folders?  (Read 3108 times)

Offline danielaaronsprague

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Syncing Folders?
« on: September 18, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
After every event, I backup all of the images to an external hard drive. Then I sort, tag, color, star the original folder that is on the internal hard drive.  Is there any way to sync all of the color/tag/stars to the folder on the external hard drive?

Both folders have the same name and same file names and extensions.

thanks,

daniel.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Syncing Folders?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
Daniel,

After every event, I backup all of the images to an external hard drive. Then I sort, tag, color, star the original folder that is on the internal hard drive.  Is there any way to sync all of the color/tag/stars to the folder on the external hard drive?

Both folders have the same name and same file names and extensions.

Not with Photo Mechanic, but some people use ExifTool with some scripting to accomplish that task.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
I use ForkLift for the exact same purpose. I edit photos on one hard drive and keep a backup on a different one. Once I have a great deal of changes I have ForkLift sync the folders.

A drawback of this method is if there would be any corruption to the edited photos it would be taken over to the backup as ForkLift does not do a metadata sync it overwrites the files completely from the other hard drive.
Thus such a sync feature would be nice in PM that could work on a metadata level.

Note that ForkLift is a Mac only app, a closest match on Win being Total Commander that has similar sync features too.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »
First, I use various incarnations of Windows and don't know if this works on Macs.  I use the free version of SyncBack to backup/sync all my files to a NAS.  There are multiple ways to configure the application depending upon your needs.