Author Topic: Bug? Image very low res while browsing  (Read 3733 times)

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Bug? Image very low res while browsing
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Hello.  

I have encountered a bug with Photo Mechanic which seems to be occurring at a greater frequency (every second or third time I use the tool for an extended period of time).    While browsing through NEF images (full screen preview on a second monitor) all of a sudden the next image viewed comes up like the first screen capture below - very low pixel resolution.  (Ignore the tool bar at the top of the screen - the image capture includes me accessing the Irfanview shortcut to do the screen capture).    If you zoom to 100% it looks like the second screen capture below.   If you close the preview and then reopen the image it looks like the third image below.   There isn't anything that clears it up (e.g., clearing the cache, moving to another image and coming back) except exiting Photo Mechanic and restarting it.  On restarting, the problem image is OK.

The problem has been encountered with caching enabled and disabled.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.7 on a stable and updated Windows 7 64 bit PC with Intel processor.

Peter

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:59:21 PM by LowEyeEssOh »

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Bug? Image very low res while browsing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
It just happened again but this time immediately following a hit of the "z" key to zoom an image to 100%.   Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »
Peter,

I have encountered a bug with Photo Mechanic which seems to be occurring at a greater frequency (every second or third time I use the tool for an extended period of time).    While browsing through NEF images (full screen preview on a second monitor) all of a sudden the next image viewed comes up like the first screen capture below - very low pixel resolution.  (Ignore the tool bar at the top of the screen - the image capture includes me accessing the Irfanview shortcut to do the screen capture).    If you zoom to 100% it looks like the second screen capture below.   If you close the preview and then reopen the image it looks like the third image below.   There isn't anything that clears it up (e.g., clearing the cache, moving to another image and coming back) except exiting Photo Mechanic and restarting it.  On restarting, the problem image is OK.

The problem has been encountered with caching enabled and disabled.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.7 on a stable and updated Windows 7 64 bit PC with Intel processor.

What are your Caching settings?  More isn't always better.

-Kirk

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:19:04 AM »
Hi Kirk.   Thanks for the follow-up.  I have seen it happen with cache set to 0 or off, and with cache set to non-zero settings.   Currently it is set as follows:

Disk cache size 4096
Reserve at least 100 MB
Not ticked:  empty cache on exit
Not ticked:  remove cached files that are older than 30 days
Memory cache:  1024

Peter

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »
Hi.   Additional observation:  it would seem the problem happens only when viewing NEF files.   It might happen also with JPG files but so far I can't recall seeing this.   Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »
Peter,

Hi.   Additional observation:  it would seem the problem happens only when viewing NEF files.   It might happen also with JPG files but so far I can't recall seeing this.   Peter

Try setting your Memory Cache to 512 and no higher.  Please let me know if the problem returns.

-Kirk

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
OK, will do.  Thanks, Peter

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
An update:  Although I have only been using PM lightly over the past week, I have not once seen the problem recur.   Will let you know... Peter