Author Topic: Add "Character/Letter Counter" to keyword field  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Add "Character/Letter Counter" to keyword field
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
I upload to different stock sites, and most of them have a limit on how many characters they will accept / copy from the keyword field after uploading the image. Limits are of 50, 300, 500, 800 (I think another one uses 250 as limit). All of them count spaces, comas etc. as a character / letter. In my case, I try to keep it under 300 for my main agency, as otherwise it will cut off anything above that when uploading.

It would be really helpful to have the keyword field in the different dialogues display the actual count of characters in the field while keywording. Do you think that can be implemented?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add "Character/Letter Counter" to keyword field
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:59:15 PM »
I upload to different stock sites, and most of them have a limit on how many characters they will accept / copy from the keyword field after uploading the image. Limits are of 50, 300, 500, 800 (I think another one uses 250 as limit). All of them count spaces, comas etc. as a character / letter. In my case, I try to keep it under 300 for my main agency, as otherwise it will cut off anything above that when uploading.

It would be really helpful to have the keyword field in the different dialogues display the actual count of characters in the field while keywording. Do you think that can be implemented?

Could it be implemented?  Yes.  Will we implement it?  I do not know at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Billy Suratt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Photojournalist Billy Suratt
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:55:03 AM »
Can we revisit this? A running character count would be especially useful for the description/caption field of the IPTC stationery pad.

Nearly every stock site seems to impose different length restrictions on captions nowadays and truncated captions are bad for everybody, causing nothing but frustration and potentially lost sales. Including a simple character count tool would make it much easier for photographers to optimize and tweak captions as necessary for the given requirements of their workflow.

I don't know what others are doing, but I'm currently having to copy my basic captions into Word or an online tool like wordcounter.net, edit to destination guidelines and then copy back to Photo Mechanic. That's a major hassle and one that seems like it would be pretty easy to eliminate.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
Is your 'stock site' limited to actual characters, or bytes?  Some letters cannot be represented in a single byte and take multiple bytes to represent (UTF-8) so these sorts of counts can be difficult to enforce.

-Kirk