Author Topic: Live Ingest / Image Capture Auto Importer / OS 10.7  (Read 4402 times)

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Live Ingest / Image Capture Auto Importer / OS 10.7
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »
I'm obviously missing out something somewhere but i thought this would work. I set Image Capture to import using Autoimporter then Live Ingest to copy the photos from the folder imported to to a second folder BUt then cannot get the images to open automatically in a contact sheet. Does live ingest not do this or am i missing something ? 10.7.1 and PM 4.6.7. I couldn't get it to work with the beta either.

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Live Ingest / Image Capture Auto Importer / OS 10.7
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
As an update it is working sometimes BUT only if the import folder is set to Autoimporter rather than being able to select a folder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »
As an update it is working sometimes BUT only if the import folder is set to Autoimporter rather than being able to select a folder.

I'm not familiar with 'Autoimporter'.  Could you explain what it does and what it is that you're trying to accomplish with your workflow?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »
Kirk, the aim of the workflow is to be able to just slot a card in the cardreader and have it automatically download to the laptop and then open in a PM contact sheet to edit. This is for when working on the sideline during a sports event with limited time available. AutoImporter is part of Apples Image Capture programme; rather than setting it to launch PhotoMechanic (or another edit programme) there is a dropdown menu to select AutoImporter which then downloads the card. Then Live ingest takes over and copies the pics from that folder to a new one and opens the contact sheet. It would be ideal if it could also be set to unmount the card as well as in the normal Ingest.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »
Kirk, the aim of the workflow is to be able to just slot a card in the cardreader and have it automatically download to the laptop and then open in a PM contact sheet to edit. This is for when working on the sideline during a sports event with limited time available. AutoImporter is part of Apples Image Capture programme; rather than setting it to launch PhotoMechanic (or another edit programme) there is a dropdown menu to select AutoImporter which then downloads the card. Then Live ingest takes over and copies the pics from that folder to a new one and opens the contact sheet. It would be ideal if it could also be set to unmount the card as well as in the normal Ingest.

Live Ingest has no end.  There is no time where it would be appropriate to unmount the card.

So the only feature you're lacking is for PM's Ingest to 'auto OK' the dialog?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:47 AM »
Yes, if by that you mean Ingest could be set to start automatically as soon as pics hit a folder that would be perfect.
The way i have described now appears to be working but as you say with Live Ingest having no end the card has to be manually unmounted.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:31:17 AM »
Live Ingest only monitors a folder for new files to arrive. These images are then ingested.
Live Ingest has to be stopped manually to monitor this folder. It has nothing to do with the card itself.

I am using this with en eye-fi SD card. Images are transmitted via WLAN and placed into a folder on my Mac, Live Ingest monitors this folder and every time a new image is transferred it is ingested.
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 03:00:57 AM »
Yes i understand that thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:07 AM »
Yes, if by that you mean Ingest could be set to start automatically as soon as pics hit a folder that would be perfect.
The way i have described now appears to be working but as you say with Live Ingest having no end the card has to be manually unmounted.

I thought that since you wanted to use Image Capture to start the process that you would be mounting a card in your card reader.  Ingest (not the Live Ingest) can be activated on mount of a card in a card reader, but it won't automatically go.  You have to click the Ingest button in the dialog to start the process.  From there the images will be transferred (and you can have the images open in a contact sheet as they're copied) and then when the transfer is complete you can have Ingest unmount the card.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »
Perhaps i was unclear. Yes i would be manually mounting a card in the reader BUT i would like the process to be automated from that point on ie, manually mount card, then Image Capture downloads the pics, then ideally PM ingests (live ingest does this) then open the contact sheet then unmount the card (which Ingest does but LiveIngest of course cannot as its still running). Following on from that more cards would be mounted through a game and would load into the open contact sheet etc.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
Perhaps i was unclear. Yes i would be manually mounting a card in the reader BUT i would like the process to be automated from that point on ie, manually mount card, then Image Capture downloads the pics, then ideally PM ingests (live ingest does this) then open the contact sheet then unmount the card (which Ingest does but LiveIngest of course cannot as its still running). Following on from that more cards would be mounted through a game and would load into the open contact sheet etc.

Oh, I understood you the first time, but I was just trying to tell you that Ingest will do all of the above (not needing Image Capture or the Auto Importer feature) and will unmount the card.  The only requirement it won't meet is automatically starting the Ingest when the card is mounted.  The Ingest dialog will appear with the card selected, but you have to click the Ingest button to start the download.  From there the contact sheets would open and when the Ingest is complete the card would be unmounted.

Unfortunately the entire process cannot be completely automated with PM along with getting the card unmounted.

-Kirk