Author Topic: How to get keywords from sidecars into TIFF or JPEG  (Read 5585 times)

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to get keywords from sidecars into TIFF or JPEG
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »
I use Capture NX2 to make my edits and use PM for ingest and culling.  I do an initial embedding into the nef files basic copyright, contact information, etc. using PM.  I would prefer then to turn off embedding of data into nef files and write keywords only into xmp sidecar files.  I figured out how to do all of this just fine.  BUT, now when I create tiff or jpeg files I would like to read the keyword data located in the matching nef xmp sidecar file and write it into the corresponding tiff or jpeg file.  Is there any way to easily do this without using an Adobe product?

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to get keywords from sidecars into TIFF or JPEG
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »
Tom,

I use Capture NX2 to make my edits and use PM for ingest and culling.  I do an initial embedding into the nef files basic copyright, contact information, etc. using PM.  I would prefer then to turn off embedding of data into nef files and write keywords only into xmp sidecar files.  I figured out how to do all of this just fine.  BUT, now when I create tiff or jpeg files I would like to read the keyword data located in the matching nef xmp sidecar file and write it into the corresponding tiff or jpeg file.  Is there any way to easily do this without using an Adobe product?

Sure, but I wouldn't suggest doing what you're doing.  You're going to have to switch your settings over and over depending on what part of your workflow you're on.  You may even make mistakes.

Capture NX2 always embeds XMP, and always ignores XMP sidecar files and for this reason I don't suggest switching to XMP sidecar files if you're using Capture NX2.  If you stay with embedded XMP, you shouldn't have any issues.

Can you tell me why you need XMP sidecar files?

-Kirk

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
The reason for sidecar files is that I am concerned that after having 3,000 or so different keywords, NX2 will start slowing down, as it loads all of the keywords ever used every time it starts.

Also, my catalog program, IMatch, seems to do better with sidecar files.

I see your point and the advantage of staying away from the sidecar files with NX2 and nef files.  However, my workflow is to embed once, maybe even with Nikon transfer, then never go back during editing, etc.

You said that it could be done but did not say how.   Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing?

Thanks,  Tom

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
Tom,

The reason for sidecar files is that I am concerned that after having 3,000 or so different keywords, NX2 will start slowing down, as it loads all of the keywords ever used every time it starts.

I can't imagine that on a file-by-file basis that Capture NX2 would slow down because of the keywords.

Quote from: photomy
Also, my catalog program, IMatch, seems to do better with sidecar files.

I see your point and the advantage of staying away from the sidecar files with NX2 and nef files.  However, my workflow is to embed once, maybe even with Nikon transfer, then never go back during editing, etc.

You said that it could be done but did not say how.   Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing?

Sure.  In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, set the Read order for TIFF-based RAW files to be XMP sidecar file first, embedded XMP second and embedded IPTC third.  You'll have to toggle between these settings at each stage of your workflow.

-Kirk