Author Topic: Optimal disk cache settings  (Read 2837 times)

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Optimal disk cache settings
« on: November 24, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Greetings,

Long time PM user.  Just upgraded my laptop to Macbook Pro, OS 10.7.1 with 8GB RAM.  What would be the ideal PM disk cache settings and Photoshop memory settings?

Thanks!

Glenn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Optimal disk cache settings
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
Glenn,

Long time PM user.  Just upgraded my laptop to Macbook Pro, OS 10.7.1 with 8GB RAM.  What would be the ideal PM disk cache settings and Photoshop memory settings?

PM Disk Cache:
100 MB (you can make it higher if you want)

PM Memory Cache: 512 to 768 MB.  I don't suggest ever going higher.

Photoshop:

Whatever works best for you, but I'd never give it more than 30% of your RAM.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Optimal disk cache settings
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
Thanks, Kirk!  Also, awhile back, you may remember I posted the strange issue of PM always trying to launch in Power PC mode making my Snow Leopard Mac run PM in Rosetta, bogging down my whole system anytime I launched it.  You recommended a third party software called Downsizer that stripped any Power PC code in PM and I've had to use it on all versions I've had to use since--and it's worked great.  On the new Lion laptop, which you know doesn't run any PPC programs, I thought it would finally be fixed.  I downloaded the latest PM version (4.6.8) on the admin account that I used to port over my user folder from my old laptop and it worked great on that account without needing Downsizer.  But loading that same version on the account I transferred to the new Lion machine from my old laptop still tried to launch in PPC, which Lion wouldn't allow.  Once again, I had to use Downsizer to strip away the PPC code.   So there must be something wrong, maybe in the plist file, that's causing PM to try launching in PPC in my user library.   It's really weird but glad to know that there's a fix.