Author Topic: Nikon D1 NEF files won't show large preview  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Jon509

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nikon D1 NEF files won't show large preview
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:36:41 AM »
Hello;

When I try and view my old Nikon D1 NEFs, they show up fine in the grid view (pixellated but viewable).  But when I click on the preview button (lower right of image in grid mode) OR if I use the pulldown menu for previewing a selected image (cmd-R), the image appears for a second then turns into a black box. Can you reproduce this problem with a Nikon D1 NEF?   My D1H NEFs display fine, my D1x NEFs are also fine.  Only have this problem with my D1 NEFs.

Thanks for any help.

Jon Sall
Photojournalist
Chicago Sun-Times

Mac OS X 10.4.8
Photo Mechanis 4.4.3.3

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon D1 NEF files won't show large preview
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:41:09 AM »
Jon,

When I try and view my old Nikon D1 NEFs, they show up fine in the grid view (pixellated but viewable).  But when I click on the preview button (lower right of image in grid mode) OR if I use the pulldown menu for previewing a selected image (cmd-R), the image appears for a second then turns into a black box. Can you reproduce this problem with a Nikon D1 NEF?   My D1H NEFs display fine, my D1x NEFs are also fine.  Only have this problem with my D1 NEFs.

D1 NEFs only have an EXIF thumbnail in them.  But since you are running the Mac version on Tiger, you can turn on RAW rendering (uses the same engine as Aperture).  Open up the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.  Click on the RAW tab.  Enable RAW Rendering by setting the checkbox.  Under the For RAW only popup menu set it to read: "Render RAW for Preview if possible"

All of your NEFs should now render at full resolution.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Jon509

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D1 NEF files won't show large preview
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:01:45 AM »
That worked!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Jon Sall