Author Topic: Safe to upgrade to Lion?  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Safe to upgrade to Lion?
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
Hi,
Considering the new Beta, and as far as compatibility with PM is concerned, is it safe already to upgrade to Lion?
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Safe to upgrade to Lion?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 02:09:30 PM »
Luiz,

Considering the new Beta, and as far as compatibility with PM is concerned, is it safe already to upgrade to Lion?

PM 4.6.8 is shaping up pretty well with Lion as of now.  I personally wouldn't go to Lion until a few more software updates appear, but that's just me.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »
Kirk,
Thanks for your quick reply, as always.
Then, I might as well wait a little bit more...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline dnurock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
I just got a new iMac (mid-2011), with Lion and I had PM version 4.2.1 on my old machine.  When I go to try and load it to the new iMac I get a "Power PC applications are no longer supported" error message. 

Do I need to upgrade PM, switch to Snow Lepord or ????  I'm getting the same message with several other programs I'm trying to load.  Help!
Doug Nurock

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
I just got a new iMac (mid-2011), with Lion and I had PM version 4.2.1 on my old machine.  When I go to try and load it to the new iMac I get a "Power PC applications are no longer supported" error message. 

Do I need to upgrade PM, switch to Snow Lepord or ????  I'm getting the same message with several other programs I'm trying to load.  Help!

You 'll need to upgrade to Photo Mechanic 4.6.8.  Your other applications will also need to be upgraded as well.  You'll notice that they'll all run quite a bit faster when they're running native Intel processor code.

-Kirk

Offline markfink67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mfpix.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »
Just updated to Lion. 

PM tasks like rotation is almost at a crawl.  i.e maybe 2-3 seconds to rotate. times that by 70 images and you see the problem.  MBP Quad i7  usually smoking tasks.
Live ingest my first attempt took 30 secs to ingest one RAW file 1Ds MkIII.  I never ran this under SL so I can't fully comment on this Live Ingest.

Everything else seems fine.
Virginia Photographer - Mark Finkenstaedt

Editorial, Corporate, Advertising

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »
If you really just upgraded to Lion, your MBP may be slow due to the heavy spotlight reindexing that goes on at first. Later on when this is done, all should be fine. As fast if not faster than before.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
Just updated to Lion. 

PM tasks like rotation is almost at a crawl.  i.e maybe 2-3 seconds to rotate. times that by 70 images and you see the problem.  MBP Quad i7  usually smoking tasks.
Live ingest my first attempt took 30 secs to ingest one RAW file 1Ds MkIII.  I never ran this under SL so I can't fully comment on this Live Ingest.

Everything else seems fine.

Are you running the 4.6.8 update?

-Kirk

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:15:30 AM »
Just to say that I now have all three Macs running on Lion and Photo Mechanic is flying on all of them. I am especially impressed at the way it works on my new 11" MacBook Air which came with Lion installed. Very rapid with the SSD...