Author Topic: PM and Dual / Multiple Monitors / Displays  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Jack Hogan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Dual / Multiple Monitors / Displays
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
Dual monitor functionality during the review/find process is important to my workflow.

Is there a way to show the contact sheet, menus and all panes on monitor 1 and just the image of the highlighted thumbnail in monitor 1 in full frame Preview on monitor 2 (like several free viewers will let you)? No matter what I've tried PM insists on keeping real-estate-eating histogram, info and other panes together with the large Preview. I want to see the panes, just not on monitor 2.

In addition, if I double click on a thumbnail in monitor 1 to open the Preview window and drag/maximize the Preview to monitor 2, I can still see the menus and contact sheet on monitor 1 but PM appears to lock the items in monitor 1 so that they are all unavailable (menus, thumbnails and all - ping, ping...ping,ping,ping,ping!).  I cannot for instance click on a thumbnail in monitor 1 to change the full frame image on Preview on monitor 2, or access the basic file menu.

Very frustrating. This can't be right. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Dual / Multiple Monitors / Displays
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:28:20 AM »
Jack,

Dual monitor functionality during the review/find process is important to my workflow.

Is there a way to show the contact sheet, menus and all panes on monitor 1 and just the image of the highlighted thumbnail in monitor 1 in full frame Preview on monitor 2 (like several free viewers will let you)? No matter what I've tried PM insists on keeping real-estate-eating histogram, info and other panes together with the large Preview. I want to see the panes, just not on monitor 2.

In addition, if I double click on a thumbnail in monitor 1 to open the Preview window and drag/maximize the Preview to monitor 2, I can still see the menus and contact sheet on monitor 1 but PM appears to lock the items in monitor 1 so that they are all unavailable (menus, thumbnails and all - ping, ping...ping,ping,ping,ping!).  I cannot for instance click on a thumbnail in monitor 1 to change the full frame image on Preview on monitor 2, or access the basic file menu.

Very frustrating. This can't be right. What am I doing wrong?

No, you're not doing anything wrong.  It is by design.  A bad design.  It is being reworked for the next major version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Jack Hogan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
Got it, too bad, deal breaker for me. Thanks anyways for the quick reply.
Jack

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
I am totally used to this functionality but being a double screen user I would welcome that redesign that brings a change in this.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com