Author Topic: "There were error(s) during the copy operation" and files deleted  (Read 3733 times)

Offline flsmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"There were error(s) during the copy operation" and files deleted
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:50:16 AM »
I am running PhotoMechanic 4.6.6 on a MacBookPro  OSX 10.6.8.

I selected a group of images, clicked the copy/Move option, chose a destination and midway through got the aforementioned error. The images were not moved but were deleted. Has anybody else seen this happen? And though I have it set in preference to send deleted files to the trash, they were not there. When automatically deleting after a Move, do the files typically bypass the trash?  I tried to recreate the error for testing purposes but couldn't replicate it. Thanks -Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "There were error(s) during the copy operation" and files deleted
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:31:15 AM »
Mike,

I am running PhotoMechanic 4.6.6 on a MacBookPro  OSX 10.6.8.

I selected a group of images, clicked the copy/Move option, chose a destination and midway through got the aforementioned error. The images were not moved but were deleted. Has anybody else seen this happen? And though I have it set in preference to send deleted files to the trash, they were not there. When automatically deleting after a Move, do the files typically bypass the trash?  I tried to recreate the error for testing purposes but couldn't replicate it.

Moving files should only delete files that were copied successfully.  They would be indeed deleted and not moved to the Trash in this case.

I haven't heard of that bug (to my recollection) before.  But since you're using a fairly old version and the upgrade is free, please get the 4.6.8 update from our website:

http://www.camerabits.com/site/

-Kirk

Offline flsmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »
Thanks Kirk - I did go ahead and upgrade.  I ran recovery software on my machine and of the lost images that I was able to find, they all appeared truncated. Prior to attempting to move the images and experiencing the error message, I was applying updated iptc information - could that have done something to the file? It seems unlikely but I can't think of anything else. Thanks again for the help  -Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »
Mike,

Thanks Kirk - I did go ahead and upgrade.  I ran recovery software on my machine and of the lost images that I was able to find, they all appeared truncated. Prior to attempting to move the images and experiencing the error message, I was applying updated iptc information - could that have done something to the file? It seems unlikely but I can't think of anything else. Thanks again for the help  -Mike

Where were they truncated?  On the source or the destination?

-Kirk