Author Topic: 3 questions  (Read 4918 times)

Offline fastgrapher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
3 questions
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »
Hi there,

I have a few things to figure out,
1st: Is there a way to use different sequences?
e.g.: I have to work for 2 different customers, both need different pictures, an both need the filenames inside of the captions.
So I copy the pictures out of the main ingestfolder into a subfolder. During the copy I set the new filename and at the end theres a running sequence number.
But every time I copy the fotos for the other customer I have to look into the subfolder and find out which was the last number in the sequence and change it in the copy-dialogue.

Is there a possibility to use two different Sequences counting independent from each other?

2nd: Is there a way to set the caption to the variable {filenamebase} during the copy, but not that the original name is taken but the new name I set during the copy?
e.g.: I copy the picture IMG_8956.jpg into a Subfolder and automatically rename it to SPD_match_001.jpg then in the target-picture the caption should be SPD_match_001 (using {filenamebase} in the caption field). But its IMG_8956 in the caption.

3rd: Is there a way to use the short-cut for "Save+Next" in die IPTC dialogue  for German (now you now why my english is that bad ;)) Mac-Users?

Thanks
Ralph

System: Mac OS X Lion
PM: 4.6.5
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:33:12 AM by fastgrapher »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 3 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:46:46 AM »
Ralph,

I have a few things to figure out,
1st: Is there a way to use different sequences?
e.g.: I have to work for 2 different customers, both need different pictures, an both need the filenames inside of the captions.
So I copy the pictures out of the main ingestfolder into a subfolder. During the copy I set the new filename and at the end theres a running sequence number.
But every time I copy the fotos for the other customer I have to look into the subfolder and find out which was the last number in the sequence and change it in the copy-dialogue.

Is there a possibility to use two different Sequences counting independent from each other?

No.  There is only one sequence number.

Quote from: fastgrapher
2nd: Is there a way to set the caption to the variable {filenamebase} during the copy, but not that the original name is taken but the new name I set during the copy?
e.g.: I copy the picture IMG_8956.jpg into a Subfolder and automatically rename it to SPD_match_001.jpg then in the target-picture the caption should be SPD_match_001 (using {filenamebase} in the caption field). But its IMG_8956 in the caption.

No.  Because of possible collisions at the destination it is impossible to know with 100% certainty what the final filename will be at the destination.

3rd: Is there a way to use the short-cut for "Save+Next" in die IPTC dialogue  for German (now you now why my english is that bad ;)) Mac-Users?

If the keyboard shortcut that appears over the button when you hover your mouse over it for a moment doesn't work for you then the answer would also be: no.

System: Mac OS X Lion
PM: 4.6.5

Please get version 4.6.8 from our website.  It is the only version that is compatible with Mac OS X Lion.

-Kirk

Offline fastgrapher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:10:51 AM »
Hi Kirk,

thank you very much for your very fast answer!
At another Lion System I'm using 4.6.7 and it works great! :)

I think I can live with the fact that there is no second sequence and a also have a workaround for setting the filename (somethimes I miss it, so it would be better without workaround, but thats not the big problem)

The great problem ist, taht the Shortcut isn't working because on the german-keyboard you have to press
Alt+5=[
Alt+6=]
And it's not working with CMD+Alt+5 or 6.
There's a way to solve it by creating system-shortcuts within the Mac system properties, but that only works with commands in the menue.
It's a big problem when you have tu use the trackpad with Photo Mechanic sitting on the outside having rainy or cold weather. For example shooting soprts in the winter. Because then the Trackpad doesn't work very good.

I think you won't change the Shortcut because of that, but maybe you can make 2 new menue entries so we can make our own system internal shortcuts?

Thanks,
Ralph

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:19:47 AM »
Ralph,

thank you very much for your very fast answer!
At another Lion System I'm using 4.6.7 and it works great! :)

I suppose you never use the Slide Show or Live Slide Show then?  They will both crash 100% of the time they are used.  Version 4.6.8 fixes that.

I think I can live with the fact that there is no second sequence and a also have a workaround for setting the filename (somethimes I miss it, so it would be better without workaround, but thats not the big problem)

The great problem ist, taht the Shortcut isn't working because on the german-keyboard you have to press
Alt+5=[
Alt+6=]
And it's not working with CMD+Alt+5 or 6.
There's a way to solve it by creating system-shortcuts within the Mac system properties, but that only works with commands in the menue.
It's a big problem when you have tu use the trackpad with Photo Mechanic sitting on the outside having rainy or cold weather. For example shooting soprts in the winter. Because then the Trackpad doesn't work very good.

I think you won't change the Shortcut because of that, but maybe you can make 2 new menue entries so we can make our own system internal shortcuts?

What keyboard shortcuts would be easier to type on a German keyboard?

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
What keyboard shortcuts would be easier to type on a German keyboard?

What about Command-Plus?
Thats easy to handle (on a German Keyboard)
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline fastgrapher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »
Hi Kirk

I don't know how possible it is for you to set CMD+'ü' (ue) and CMD + '+' from the german keyboard as shortcut? They have the same location like your english [ ].

Another way is maybe to use CMD+'8' and CMD+'9' OR CMD+',' and CMD+'.'

But I think in english and also in german CMD+'.' closes the actual windows. But , and . have the same location on QWERTZ and QWERTY.

Thanks,
Ralph

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:21 AM »
Ralph,

I don't know how possible it is for you to set CMD+'ü' (ue) and CMD + '+' from the german keyboard as shortcut? They have the same location like your english [ ].

Another way is maybe to use CMD+'8' and CMD+'9' OR CMD+',' and CMD+'.'

But I think in english and also in german CMD+'.' closes the actual windows. But , and . have the same location on QWERTZ and QWERTY.

If we make an update to version 4.6 again, I'll try to address this issue.

-Kirk

Offline fastgrapher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »
Thank your very very much!
I know about 8-10 colleagues, also professional photographers (sports, press, weddings, ...) who use Photo Mechanic and they all want to have these shortcuts, or lets say this shortcut (save+next).

Thank you very much!