Author Topic: IPTC Stationary Pad: What are the Plus "+" Signs/Boxes For?  (Read 7159 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
IPTC Stationary Pad: What are the Plus "+" Signs/Boxes For?
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:55:17 AM »
I have recently signed on with a wire service that requires extensive IPTC data inclusion so I am looking for ways to optimize my workflow in this area.  Being able to create image folders in anticipation of an event and to store an IPTC template in the folder is a huge assist.  I noticed in the IPTC menu that there are a few fields that have a check box by a plus "+" symbol but I see no explanation of their use in the online help.  Are there help files I am unaware of that explain these options?  If not, can someone enlighten me?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Stationary Pad: What are the Plus "+" Signs/Boxes For?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 10:03:07 AM »
I have recently signed on with a wire service that requires extensive IPTC data inclusion so I am looking for ways to optimize my workflow in this area.  Being able to create image folders in anticipation of an event and to store an IPTC template in the folder is a huge assist.  I noticed in the IPTC menu that there are a few fields that have a check box by a plus "+" symbol but I see no explanation of their use in the online help.  Are there help files I am unaware of that explain these options?  If not, can someone enlighten me?

The '+' signs append the applied text onto the current text contained in the IPTC field of the image that the IPTC Stationery Pad is being applied onto.  Or more simply, instead of replacing, this will cause the new text to be appended.  Remember to insert a space or two before any appended text, or your appended text will be connected to the original text.

A full PDF manual is available in the Announcements section of the forums.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »
Thanks for the immediate reply.  Let me make sure I got it.  If I want to add text to the existing caption or keywords fields of one or more images, I would select the images, clear the stationary pad, insert the text, check the checkbox and check the "+" box and apply.  Let's say I already have IPTC data applied to selected boxing images and now I wish to add scores to the caption for a particular bout ... I would clear the IPTC pad, enter only the additional scores (with a couple of spaces in front), check the box and "+", select the appropriate images, and apply?

I'll go looking for the PDF .. thanks! [Edit: Got the manual and already found things I didn't know about!]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:55:33 AM by dwightmccann »

Offline blevey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »
What if you want the info to append to start at beginning of the caption box...not end? Is that possibe

Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:27:47 AM »
Bob,

What if you want the info to append to start at beginning of the caption box...not end? Is that possibe

Instead of using the '+' checkbox, you would have to do the following:

Your new text. {caption}

...which would prepend your new text before the current caption text (represented by the {caption} variable.)

-Kirk

Offline blevey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:44:42 PM »
All i want to do is put this infront of all the existing captions...  16 MAY 2007:

i dont want the individual captions changed....follow....

Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Bob,

All i want to do is put this infront of all the existing captions...  16 MAY 2007:

i dont want the individual captions changed....follow....

Then you do the following:

Turn off the '+' checkbox.
Enter the following into the Caption field:

16 MAY 2007: {caption}

And then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to your selected photos.

That should do what you're wanting to do.

-Kirk

Offline blevey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »
I guess Im missing something..tried that....didnt work for me. I alread have captions for all the images...when I tried what you said. it erased what was in the caption....

Thanks for trying...

bob

Offline sydlow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
Bob,

Your new text. {caption}

...which would prepend your new text before the current caption text (represented by the {caption} variable.)

-Kirk

Kirk - does your example actually work? I just get "Your new text. {caption}" written into these fields. PM doesn't seem to do recursive or deferred replacement in its own field.
Syd

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 06:45:40 AM »
Syd,

Your new text. {caption}

Kirk - does your example actually work? I just get "Your new text. {caption}" written into these fields. PM doesn't seem to do recursive or deferred replacement in its own field.

No.  But in version 5 there is an option to prefix text in the Caption field.