Author Topic: Do PM label colors require an XMP file to show in LR?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Do PM label colors require an XMP file to show in LR?
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »
I'm learning just how much I'm not a Metadata expert. In order for color and star ratings designated in PM to show up in LR, does it have to create a sidecar XMP file to store it or or is there a way to store it in the IPTC database?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Do PM label colors require an XMP file to show in LR?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
I'm learning just how much I'm not a Metadata expert. In order for color and star ratings designated in PM to show up in LR, does it have to create a sidecar XMP file to store it or or is there a way to store it in the IPTC database?

Definitely use XMP sidecar files when using Adobe products.  Things will work much better that way.

The main thing you need to do to get your settings for color labels working (besides using XMP sidecar files in PM) is to make sure you use the exact same label names in both LR and PM.

-Kirk

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »
Actually coordinating the the names for the color labels was the easy part. Somehow my preferences in PM for IPTC/XMP drifted from the default and I spent more time than I'm willing to admit trying to figure out why the labels wouldn't transfer to LR.

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation. I usually just create a separate folder of keepers using PM and only import that into LR, thus no XMP files are needed. Guess I'll need to create XMP's if I want to retain labels in LR.

Thanks Kirk!

Offline whistlerdan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »
I see the recommended Adobe defaults in the manual.  But am I correct in thinking that in order to transfer color labels for RAW files from PM to LR , you also additionally need to select For TIIF-Based Raw files :  'also embedded IPTC4XMP' ?

Whilst leaving it on 'Always Create and/or update sidecar xmp with IPTC4XMP'
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:19:20 PM by whistlerdan »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
I see the recommended Adobe defaults in the manual.  But am I correct in thinking that in order to transfer color labels for RAW files from PM to LR , you also additionally need to select For TIIF-Based Raw files :  'also embedded IPTC4XMP' ?

Whilst leaving it on 'Always Create and/or update sidecar xmp with IPTC4XMP'

Yes.  JPEGs, TIFFs, PSDs, etc. do not have sidecar files and for those types you need to embed your metadata.

-Kirk