Author Topic: Compare more than two images  (Read 11927 times)

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Compare more than two images
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:00:27 AM »
A nice feature to have would be to be able to compare more than two images at once and the reduce the number of open images by clicking away one-by-one (i.e. the same concept as in LR).

Regards

Hans

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Compare more than two images
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:28:55 PM »
I agree, this would be a great feature. Nowadays I find myself making the final selection rounds in Bridge because PM lacks this feature, and culling the last photos is so much easier in Bridge when you can compare side by side as you would do with slides on a lightbox back in the analogue days. But Bridge is dead slow compared to PM (LR even more so), and I much prefers PMs metadata tools, so it would be great if I could stay in PM for the entire workflow.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:12:12 AM »
I agree, this would be a great feature. Nowadays I find myself making the final selection rounds in Bridge because PM lacks this feature, and culling the last photos is so much easier in Bridge when you can compare side by side as you would do with slides on a lightbox back in the analogue days. But Bridge is dead slow compared to PM (LR even more so), and I much prefers PMs metadata tools, so it would be great if I could stay in PM for the entire workflow.

Have you used the 'Greg Gorman' feature?  It makes culling a snap.  See page 29 of the manual.

-Kirk

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
But the 'Greg Gorman' feature only gives you the ability to compare two images at once. There are situations when it would be nice to be able to look at a large number of images at once in order to pick out, let's say four images, to tell a story from start to end (e.g. a hunt). It's so much easier if you could do this by looking at all images at once and deselect one-by-one than only look at two-at-a-time.

//Hans

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »
But the 'Greg Gorman' feature only gives you the ability to compare two images at once. There are situations when it would be nice to be able to look at a large number of images at once in order to pick out, let's say four images, to tell a story from start to end (e.g. a hunt). It's so much easier if you could do this by looking at all images at once and deselect one-by-one than only look at two-at-a-time.

OK.  We have no plans to preview more than two image at a time for version 4.6.x or 5.0.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
I routinely select a handful of images in the contact sheet, then press cmd-R to go to preview mode... right and left arrow keys... cmd D to drop my least fave... and within seconds, I have the best of the lot.   I never use two-up.  I want full screen and I toggle back and forth.

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »
What Hans said.

I think the way Bridge handles multiple previews is very slick, and the only area where Bridge actually beats PM.

I have employed the technique Ron describes, and it is the second best way, but again, the way Bridge allows arranging groups of pictures works better when going through a shoot with a client - when you try to make a point about the succession of the images, this really helps in visualizing the flow of the images.

OK.  We have no plans to preview more than two image at a time for version 4.6.x or 5.0.

-Kirk

But in v.6 perhaps? Please?  :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »
What Hans said.

I think the way Bridge handles multiple previews is very slick, and the only area where Bridge actually beats PM.

I have employed the technique Ron describes, and it is the second best way, but again, the way Bridge allows arranging groups of pictures works better when going through a shoot with a client - when you try to make a point about the succession of the images, this really helps in visualizing the flow of the images.

But in v.6 perhaps? Please?  :)

How many previews does one need?  Once you get more than four previews they start to get so small as to be not much larger than the largest thumbnail size in the Contact Sheet.  Why not just crank up the thumbnail size and use the Zoom cursor mode to view at 100% and skip the Preview window altogether?

-Kirk

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Manuel Llaneras Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
Kirk,

This feature request would great. It would be very useful to preview several images at once the way that it can be done in LR. It would be up to the user how many they want to view at a time. it is true that if you select a lot of images they start to be the same size as the contact sheet, but the key is that you would be able to select which ones you see.  There are times when I need to make image selections outside side of LR and it is too bad that PM does not have this very useful editing feature. Too bad that was not incorporated into PM 5.0.

Maybe 5.1, or 5.2, or 6.0? :)
Manuel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »
Manuel,

This feature request would great. It would be very useful to preview several images at once the way that it can be done in LR. It would be up to the user how many they want to view at a time. it is true that if you select a lot of images they start to be the same size as the contact sheet, but the key is that you would be able to select which ones you see.  There are times when I need to make image selections outside side of LR and it is too bad that PM does not have this very useful editing feature. Too bad that was not incorporated into PM 5.0.

Maybe 5.1, or 5.2, or 6.0? :)

You do know that in the Contact Sheet you can select a number of images and then View only selected images?

Our primary focus is on fixing any issues in PM 5 and then Cataloging.  Beyond that then other features will be added.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »
Our primary focus is on fixing any issues in PM 5 and then Cataloging.  Beyond that then other features will be added.

If only this were facebook, I'd "like" this response.

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »

[/quote]

You do know that in the Contact Sheet you can select a number of images and then View only selected images?

-Kirk
[/quote]

Kirk,
I am aware that you can view only selected images on Preview, but it's not the same thing because you still can only view two at a time at most. Hope it makes it to the features to be added later.

Thanks,
Manuel
Manuel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »
Manuel,

Quote from: Kirk Baker

I am aware that you can view only selected images on Preview, but it's not the same thing because you still can only view two at a time at most. Hope it makes it to the features to be added later.

Contact Sheet.  You can view only selected images in the Contact Sheet by filtering by Selected in the View menu.

-Kirk

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »

Contact Sheet.  You can view only selected images in the Contact Sheet by filtering by Selected in the View menu.

-Kirk

Yes. I'm aware of this capability too.
Manuel

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 07:22:58 AM »
I agree this four or any number split preview could be a nice and visual feature. But I never used such even in programs that offer it like LightRoom, Aperture or Bridge.

I rarely but some times use the 2 image split view. And more often use the Contact sheet to show only selected images or ones marked with tag, color class or star rating. Whenever a customer has any problem with image size I resize the thumbnails and there you go, they are satisfied and the result is quite close to what you are requesting.

I too support Camera Bits in necesary bug fixes and then move to cataloging....and the need for a like button in the forums.
,-)))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com