Author Topic: Right Click to launch FTP  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Right Click to launch FTP
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
I'm using PM version 4.6.8, on a well-equipped, windows XP Pro SP3 laptop. I am also enabling the AP Custom Features subprogram during my transmit sessions.  My usual proceedure for FTP-ing an image is to left click an image being displayed in the multi-image window of the folder I am viewing, then right clicking that same image to bring up the 16-choice, context index window and then select "FTP As".

For the first few images I do this to, the File Uploader window can hang for up to 30 seconds which seems like an eternity when trying to transmit images quickly. Then, as I transmit more images, the launch time of the File Uploader window lessens...usually.  Last night it hung for so long, I had to exit the program and re-launch PM.

Now I've resorted to the other method of left clicking an image, then going up to "FILE" and selecting "FTP Photos as" from the drop down menu.  This seems to launch the File Uploader window much quicker.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall having this right click issue in the past.  Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Right Click to launch FTP
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
Tom,

I'm using PM version 4.6.8, on a well-equipped, windows XP Pro SP3 laptop. I am also enabling the AP Custom Features subprogram during my transmit sessions.  My usual proceedure for FTP-ing an image is to left click an image being displayed in the multi-image window of the folder I am viewing, then right clicking that same image to bring up the 16-choice, context index window and then select "FTP As".

For the first few images I do this to, the File Uploader window can hang for up to 30 seconds which seems like an eternity when trying to transmit images quickly. Then, as I transmit more images, the launch time of the File Uploader window lessens...usually.  Last night it hung for so long, I had to exit the program and re-launch PM.

Now I've resorted to the other method of left clicking an image, then going up to "FILE" and selecting "FTP Photos as" from the drop down menu.  This seems to launch the File Uploader window much quicker.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall having this right click issue in the past.  Any insight is appreciated.

I'd really be surprised if there was any difference.  The code is basically the same to give photos to the Uploader via the contextual menu versus the command on the File menu.

Is your system low on memory?

-Kirk

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Right Click to launch FTP
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:07:39 AM »
No, I don't believe so. If you are referring to RAM, my laptop has 4Gb. As to memory usage during operation, I'll have to check that. I'll see what that figure is when AP Custom  Feature is running and not running.  A recent post said there is a large difference in memory usage when AP Custom Features is launched after PM is up and running versus having it previously enabled when PM is launched.