Author Topic: annoying, intermittent delay in rendering images  (Read 2037 times)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
annoying, intermittent delay in rendering images
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »
First, I have options in RAW preference tab set to render jpeg for speed.

While reviewing images in preview mode, I will often zoom in to 100% and use the left and right arrow keys to go back and forth between two adjacent images to compare (I like this better than the side-by-side view). At random PM will sometimes first show a pixelated version of the image before rendering the image properly. Then if I jump to the next image while still in 100% zoom mode, the image may or may not be pixelated first. If it isn't and I go back to the previous image it may show up as pixelated or not, at random. I may go back and forth several times between two images and see the properly rendered version every time, then out of the blue the pixelated version will show up before being rendered properly. I thought PM stores these in a cache so why is this happening? I'm a wildlife photographer and I typically may have 1000+ images to go through at a time. This really slows me down. Is there any solution to this?

By the way the same thing happened in previous versions of the OS (Snow Leopard, Leopard).
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: annoying, intermittent delay in rendering images
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:45:02 AM »
John,

First, I have options in RAW preference tab set to render jpeg for speed.

While reviewing images in preview mode, I will often zoom in to 100% and use the left and right arrow keys to go back and forth between two adjacent images to compare (I like this better than the side-by-side view). At random PM will sometimes first show a pixelated version of the image before rendering the image properly. Then if I jump to the next image while still in 100% zoom mode, the image may or may not be pixelated first. If it isn't and I go back to the previous image it may show up as pixelated or not, at random. I may go back and forth several times between two images and see the properly rendered version every time, then out of the blue the pixelated version will show up before being rendered properly. I thought PM stores these in a cache so why is this happening? I'm a wildlife photographer and I typically may have 1000+ images to go through at a time. This really slows me down. Is there any solution to this?

By the way the same thing happened in previous versions of the OS (Snow Leopard, Leopard).

Try setting your Memory Cache higher.  If the Memory Cache is too small then previews will be flushed from memory and will have to be loaded from disk.  The pixelated image is just another representation being used while the proper image is loading.

What are your current Memory Cache settings?  (Preferences->Caching)

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
here they are:

[attachment deleted by admin]
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »
John,

here they are:

Set the Memory Cache to 512 MB and things should improve.  If you don't have much RAM, then set it to 384 MB.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
Have 4GB. Will give it a try. Many thanks!
John