Author Topic: PM 4.6.8 Beta 1 - slide show not full screen in Lion  (Read 3112 times)

Offline daveful

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.6.8 Beta 1 - slide show not full screen in Lion
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »
Gentlemen,

I am running PM 4.6.8 Beta 1 on Mac OS/X 10.7 (Lion) on the brand-new MacBook Air.
Processor  1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

The slide show does not show the image full-screen as it should.  There is a black border around the image at the right side, left side and bottom.

However, it is a great improvement over the earlier versions which crash the machine altogether.

Dave Fulton

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.6.8 Beta 1 - slide show not full screen in Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »
Dave,

I am running PM 4.6.8 Beta 1 on Mac OS/X 10.7 (Lion) on the brand-new MacBook Air.
Processor  1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

The slide show does not show the image full-screen as it should.  There is a black border around the image at the right side, left side and bottom.

However, it is a great improvement over the earlier versions which crash the machine altogether.

Depending on the shape of your screen and the shape of your images, it is very likely that it is not possible to fill the screen.  Also, if you've reserved space for text then there will always be a border at the bottom to make room for the text.  The Slide Show will not clip images to fill the screen.  It will only resize them to keep their shape (aspect ratio) and fit them on screen.

-Kirk

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
I am running PM 4.6.8 on Mac OS/X 10.7 (Lion) on A MacBook,
I'm wondering is it me or isn't the slide show as sharp in the latest PM version, i tend to use it a lot, as i love to be able to assess my images with a full screen.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
I am running PM 4.6.8 on Mac OS/X 10.7 (Lion) on A MacBook,
I'm wondering is it me or isn't the slide show as sharp in the latest PM version, i tend to use it a lot, as i love to be able to assess my images with a full screen.

I haven't noticed any sharpness issues in the new slide show module.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:34:24 AM »
-Kirk

Hi Kirk, I can confirm that using SDL (in Slideshow module), images are rendered less sharp on PM 4.6.8 / OS X 10.7.2.

Perhaps it has been some change in the SDL library? Please see attached screenshots, both showing embedded JPG inside Eos 1DsII RAW (with Apple ImageIO off). Also, both sharpen thumbnails and sharpen previews is turned off in PM. Also mind that both images are scaled a little different, as it is hard to get the scaling the same in Preview and Slideshow (because of menu/OS UI elements), Preview shows scaling 86%.

I haven't noticed it before, but reading the original post I decided to try.

Frantisek

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:36:52 AM »
Or it might be just the scaling algorithm reacting differently to subtle changes in scaling size - as I wrote, it's impossible to get the scaling the same on both preview and slideshow...dunno. Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:21:19 AM »
Frantisek,

Hi Kirk, I can confirm that using SDL (in Slideshow module), images are rendered less sharp on PM 4.6.8 / OS X 10.7.2.

Perhaps it has been some change in the SDL library? Please see attached screenshots, both showing embedded JPG inside Eos 1DsII RAW (with Apple ImageIO off). Also, both sharpen thumbnails and sharpen previews is turned off in PM. Also mind that both images are scaled a little different, as it is hard to get the scaling the same in Preview and Slideshow (because of menu/OS UI elements), Preview shows scaling 86%.

I haven't noticed it before, but reading the original post I decided to try.

We're no longer using SDL for our slideshow engine.  The slideshow engine is now using OpenGL as its base.  The SDL engine always crashed on Lion and while we identified the problem and reported it to the developers, they took too long to address the issue so we abandoned SDL (at great time expense for us unfortunately) and went with OpenGL.

We'll take a look at it after PhotoPlus is over.

-Kirk