Author Topic: Code Replacement synonyms  (Read 7564 times)

Offline whistlerdan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code Replacement synonyms
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
Thought about this today while captioning some driver names again.

Example:  A guy called Franck Mailleux.  I know that often he is incorrectly spelled Frank by others so it follows that Frank might actually be searched for.

It would be cool to have something like this in the code replacement

26       Frank Mailleux *Frank*
35       Patrick Long *Pat*

Whereby it would insert the correct name as usual, but would then also append the *name* to the keywords box.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:10:51 PM by whistlerdan »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code Replacement synonyms
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:01:24 PM »
Thought about this today while captioning some driver names again.

Example:  A guy called Franck Mailleux.  I know that often he is incorrectly spelled Frank by others so it follows that Frank might actually be searched for.

It would be cool to have something like this in the code replacement

26       Frank Mailleux *Frank*
35       Patrick Long *Pat*

Whereby it would insert the correct name as usual, but would then also append the *name* to the keywords box.

When would it put *name* in the keywords field?  When you use \26\ somewhere else?

-Kirk

Offline whistlerdan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
Yes that is what I was thinking.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
Yes that is what I was thinking.

OK.  I don't know if we'll be able to implement that.  Code Replacement can be used in almost every text field within Photo Mechanic and Code Replacement has no way to tell where it is being used.  It is just presented with a string of text which it analyzes and returns either an unmodified string of text or an expanded string of text.  It doesn't know what field you're working with or if there is another field somewhere that is the 'Keywords' field.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
Maybe keywords field can be considered as special in the sense such a code replacement (the one having " marks in the example above) shall go allways to the keywords, regardless where the code replacement is used. Keywords are unique after all, arent they?

It could allow a code replacement file to be set up with structured or manually collected keysords as well. This approach has some meaning as I see it.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
Maybe keywords field can be considered as special in the sense such a code replacement (the one having " marks in the example above) shall go allways to the keywords, regardless where the code replacement is used. Keywords are unique after all, arent they?

It could allow a code replacement file to be set up with structured or manually collected keysords as well. This approach has some meaning as I see it.

Yes, but CR can be used in the Save As, Copy, Rename, etc. dialogs and they don't have Keywords fields or any other IPTC fields.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »

Yes, but CR can be used in the Save As, Copy, Rename, etc. dialogs and they don't have Keywords fields or any other IPTC fields.

-Kirk

I get the point Kirk and even I use it in filenames and some other stuff too.

In this case the only solution stays to use the keyword panel (the one I hope you will enhance making useable on the preview vindow as well and allowing it to enter content into different fields too).
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vasha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
You could set up your codes like this to handle nicknames (we have to deal with dual numbers in football all the time so we use a numbers/letters to differentiate between two people wearing the same number - in this case its one person using two references)...

26       Franck Mailleux
26a       Franck Mailleux *Frank*
35       Patrick Long
35a       Patrick Long *Pat*

You would then use \26\ or \35\ in your caption and use \26a\ and \35a\ in your keywords...

Hope this helps!

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »
You could set up your codes like this to handle nicknames (we have to deal with dual numbers in football all the time so we use a numbers/letters to differentiate between two people wearing the same number - in this case its one person using two references)...

26       Franck Mailleux
26a       Franck Mailleux *Frank*
35       Patrick Long
35a       Patrick Long *Pat*

You would then use \26\ or \35\ in your caption and use \26a\ and \35a\ in your keywords...

Hope this helps!

You can do the same with the CR fields just add a tab after the first replacement text (correctly spelled name in this case), then add your other name.
To call it you have to use \26#2\ instead of \26a\
Allways shooting RAW.