Author Topic: ACR edits to .jpg not preserved after applying IPTC stationary  (Read 8549 times)

Offline dandill

• View Profile
After using Camera Raw to apply edit instructions to a .jpg, I used PM 4.6.1 to apply an IPTC stationary to the .jpg. On doing so, the Camera Raw edit instructions no longer appear.

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ACR edits to .jpg not preserved after applying IPTC stationary
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:47 PM »
Dan,

After using Camera Raw to apply edit instructions to a .jpg, I used PM 4.6.1 to apply an IPTC stationary to the .jpg. On doing so, the Camera Raw edit instructions no longer appear.

We do indeed strip them out when we update the metadata.  You're using ACR to adjust JPEGs?  Does that work well?  JPEGs aren't RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »
We do indeed strip them out when we update the metadata.  You're using ACR to adjust JPEGs?  Does that work well?  JPEGs aren't RAW files.

ACR edits are stored in the header and so do not alter the pixel data, and so do not engender image degradation. Also, the edits can be altered at any time. The are only "baked" into the pixel data when the image is exported (from Lightroom or Photoshop).

Changing IPTC metadata in Brdige does preserve the ACR edit instructions.

For these reasons I feel that ACR edits to .jpg's is a great capability to support.

Dan Dill

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
I wanted to check whether ACR edits to .jpg's will be able to be preserved in a future release.

This will allow using PM to annotate edited .jpg's that have been edited with ACR. Otherwise, I will not be able to use PM once a .jpg has been edited in ACR.

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
Dan,

I wanted to check whether ACR edits to .jpg's will be able to be preserved in a future release.

This will allow using PM to annotate edited .jpg's that have been edited with ACR. Otherwise, I will not be able to use PM once a .jpg has been edited in ACR.

Version 4.6.2 will preserve ACR settings in embedded XMP data as long as the entire block of XMP data will fit in a single JPEG chunk.  If it won't fit then the ACR settings will be removed as a last resort.

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »
Version 4.6.2 will preserve ACR settings in embedded XMP data as long as the entire block of XMP data will fit in a single JPEG chunk.  If it won't fit then the ACR settings will be removed as a last resort.

Thanks for this. Will/could there be a warning that ACR data will be lost?

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for this. Will/could there be a warning that ACR data will be lost?

There will not be a warning.  Because of the way PM is multi-threaded, the warning could not be presented from the thread that is doing the work.

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
I don't know the details of how Adobe embeds the ACR edits in .jpgs, but if there is a robust way that they could be preserved, that avoided their possible loss, that would be preferable.

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »
Dan,

I don't know the details of how Adobe embeds the ACR edits in .jpgs, but if there is a robust way that they could be preserved, that avoided their possible loss, that would be preferable.

XMP data can be spanned over more than one chunk.  PM just does not support that at this time and we don't want to introduce any potential for bugs in that area of our software.  What we have is a compromise for the time being.  When we have more time for development and testing we may address the reading and writing of XMP that spans multiple chunks in JPEG files.

There are too many people waiting for 4.6.2 to go final for us to address this issue at this time.

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »
XMP data can be spanned over more than one chunk.  PM just does not support that at this time and we don't want to introduce any potential for bugs in that area of our software.  What we have is a compromise for the time being.  When we have more time for development and testing we may address the reading and writing of XMP that spans multiple chunks in JPEG files.

Thanks very much for this.

Dan Dill

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
I just noticed with version 4.6.8 if I make edits to jpegs with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) prior to applying stationary with PM, when I then apply the stationary all of the ACR edits are lost.

I think that this also means that whenever changes are made to metadata with PM, any ACR edits will be lost.

If I am interpreting this behavior correctly, is there a way to preserve ACR edits when metadata changes are made with PM?

Thanks
Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 06:17:39 PM »
Dan,

I just noticed with version 4.6.8 if I make edits to jpegs with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) prior to applying stationary with PM, when I then apply the stationary all of the ACR edits are lost.

I think that this also means that whenever changes are made to metadata with PM, any ACR edits will be lost.

If I am interpreting this behavior correctly, is there a way to preserve ACR edits when metadata changes are made with PM?

This may be a bug in Photo Mechanic.  Could you send me a sample file that all I have to do is apply IPTC Stationery to which will reproduce the problem?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk