Author Topic: can ingest create directories?  (Read 25434 times)

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
can ingest create directories?
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:03:21 AM »
I've been comparing PM to some of the other options available, and I'm quite impressed with some of the features of Downloader Pro especially the Directory Maker plugin. As images are downloaded the plug-in creates empty directories relative to the download directory. You can also use tokens to create directories based on meta data.

Will PM's ingest feature do this as well? I know I could install the demo, but I just did a clean install of Windows and I'm trying to avoid installing and uninstalling a bunch of demo software.

Thanks,

Andrew

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: can ingest create directories?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
Andrew,

I've been comparing PM to some of the other options available, and I'm quite impressed with some of the features of Downloader Pro especially the Directory Maker plugin. As images are downloaded the plug-in creates empty directories relative to the download directory. You can also use tokens to create directories based on meta data.

Will PM's ingest feature do this as well? I know I could install the demo, but I just did a clean install of Windows and I'm trying to avoid installing and uninstalling a bunch of demo software.

Yes, Photo Mechanic's Ingest feature can do all of that, and requires no plugins in order to do so.

If you give me an example of the directory structure you want to achieve, I will give you the set of variables that you would enter into Ingest so that it would do what you want.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 12:01:34 PM »
If you give me an example of the directory structure you want to achieve, I will give you the set of variables that you would enter into Ingest so that it would do what you want.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to setup a workflow based on Peter Krogh's DAM Book. He suggests a fairly complicated directory structure, and I'm not completely sold on it yet. I certainly wouldn't want to have to manually create all these folders for every job.

It looks something like this:

So the "Working Files" directory, as well as "1Original Raw Files" and "2Derivative Files in Progress" would be permanent and all the other folders would be created for each job and the RAW files would be downloaded from the CF card into "Working Files>1Original Raw Files>Client Project Folder>1Raw".

The "Client Project Folder" would also have to be created dynamically using a job code or metadata from the camera. Peter recommends this structure so RAW files and derivatives are kept separate and can be easily archived by moving the Client Project Folders.

Does that make sense? All this DAM stuff has certainly been giving me a headache.  :'(

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 12:24:23 PM »
Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to setup a workflow based on Peter Krogh's DAM Book. He suggests a fairly complicated directory structure, and I'm not completely sold on it yet. I certainly wouldn't want to have to manually create all these folders for every job.

It looks something like this:

So the "Working Files" directory, as well as "1Original Raw Files" and "2Derivative Files in Progress" would be permanent and all the other folders would be created for each job and the RAW files would be downloaded from the CF card into "Working Files>1Original Raw Files>Client Project Folder>1Raw".

The "Client Project Folder" would also have to be created dynamically using a job code or metadata from the camera. Peter recommends this structure so RAW files and derivatives are kept separate and can be easily archived by moving the Client Project Folders.

Does that make sense? All this DAM stuff has certainly been giving me a headache.  :'(

So you would set your primary destination to:
.../Working Files/1Original Raw Files
with the folder picker that comes up when you click on the "Primary Destination..." button.

Set the "Copy Photos:" popup menu to read "into folder with name"

And finally in the "Folder Name:" field enter: {job}/1Raw

Click on the Job... button and fill in the "Job name:" field with the name of the client, or if you really just want "Client Project Folder" then enter that.

That would do it.  But I really like to have PM create folders based on the Year and the Month that they were shot but if you do your shooting on specific jobs with clients then a client-centric folder naming scheme would likely be more useful.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 01:18:07 PM »
Thanks Kirk. What about all the other folders? Can ingest build any of those? Downloader Pro works this way: "As images are downloaded the plug-in creates empty directories relative to the download directory. For example suppose images are downloaded to the directory D:\Photos and you wish to create a directory for images which require more work called "working", a directory for finished images called "edited" and a directory for images prepared for web pages called "web". Alternatively you may prefer to download your images to a directory named "originals" and have the additional directories at the same level. This can be done be prefixing the directory names with "..\" (".." is a way of specifying the parent directory)."

I haven't tried Downloader Pro with the example structure I described above, but I have tried it with original and derivative directories in the same job folder and it works fine.

Andrew

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:33:38 PM »
Thanks Kirk. What about all the other folders? Can ingest build any of those? Downloader Pro works this way: "As images are downloaded the plug-in creates empty directories relative to the download directory. For example suppose images are downloaded to the directory D:\Photos and you wish to create a directory for images which require more work called "working", a directory for finished images called "edited" and a directory for images prepared for web pages called "web". Alternatively you may prefer to download your images to a directory named "originals" and have the additional directories at the same level. This can be done be prefixing the directory names with "..\" (".." is a way of specifying the parent directory)."

I haven't tried Downloader Pro with the example structure I described above, but I have tried it with original and derivative directories in the same job folder and it works fine.

Ingest only creates folders when it is going to put a file there.  It has no facility for creating additional empty folders.

We've never had anyone request that a number of predetermined additional empty sub-folders be created when photos are ingested.

I'd guess that the way people do that is when they copy files, they create such sub-folders in the process of copying the files.  In that way they are created as needed when the work is performed.

-Kirk

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »
We've never had anyone request that a number of predetermined additional empty sub-folders be created when photos are ingested.

Really? That's interesting. I would think that most people would find a feature like this very useful, and that they probably use the same directory structure, and workflow for most jobs that they do.

I developed a work around a few years ago, and created all the directories I use for each job (raw, converted, work files, hi-res tiffs, low-res jpegs, etc) and placed them a directory called "Empty Folders". Before downloading new images I copy that folder and rename it with the date and job code, and then download the raw files to the "raw" directory. It's certainly better than creating all the directories manually every time, but automated creation during download is even better.

Thanks,

Andrew

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 02:09:51 PM »
I agree with Andrew (good idea on creating the filders and doing the copy thing, I love that but never thought about it)

I'd like to be able to create certain folders automatically as well...for example:
  • when I shoot Raw+JPEG, I'd like the files to be put in seperate folders
  • I typically create a few folder named "Selects" and one named "EFiles"

thoughts?
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 03:15:14 PM »

Really? That's interesting. I would think that most people would find a feature like this very useful, and that they probably use the same directory structure, and workflow for most jobs that they do.

Please note that I didn't say that it wouldn't be useful.  I only said that I never have received such a request.  I completely agree that having the ability to create predefined "project" folders would be a real help for this type of workflow.

You're the first to mention it and request it in the several years that I have been working on Photo Mechanic...

-Kirk

Offline peterkrogh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:49:14 AM »
Kirk,
While the structure Andrew suggests might be a good one (with empty subfolders created inside a download target folder), that is not what I suggest doing.

I use the 1-2-3-4 folders as a workflow pipeline for the RAW files. For me, a folder of images works its way through the pipeline and gets advanced to the next folder.  Once they land in the #4 folder, the images get transfered to the permanent archive.  I do not use the 1-2-3-4 folders *within* the client folders.

BTW, have you had a look at ImageIngester?
Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »
Peter,

While the structure Andrew suggests might be a good one (with empty subfolders created inside a download target folder), that is not what I suggest doing.

I use the 1-2-3-4 folders as a workflow pipeline for the RAW files. For me, a folder of images works its way through the pipeline and gets advanced to the next folder.  Once they land in the #4 folder, the images get transfered to the permanent archive.  I do not use the 1-2-3-4 folders *within* the client folders.

Where do you put the 1-2-3-4 folders?  Would it still be useful that Ingest created them for you?

Quote from: peterkrogh
BTW, have you had a look at ImageIngester?

Yes, I have looked at the website but I have never tried the product for myself.

-Kirk

Offline peterkrogh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 05:44:36 PM »
Kirk,
For me, the 1-2-3-4 folders are permanent.  I create them once, and *all* files move through them and on to permanent archive.
Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 08:01:07 PM »
Peter,

For me, the 1-2-3-4 folders are permanent.  I create them once, and *all* files move through them and on to permanent archive.

OK, I understand now.

-Kirk

Offline jlayman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:37:14 AM »
I have been reading the DAM book.  For Peter's chosen workflow he is using Bridge in addition to other software.  He recommends configuring Bridge to use distributed cache.  This means that Bridge drops cache files into every folder that it opens.

I feel that for organization and a desire to limit the cache files dropped, Peter has chosen to flow all his working files thru the 1-2-3-4 folders.  He permenantly backups the originals and the final versions as part of his digital workflow.  The working files may be part of a workstation backup but I don't believe it is part of his permanent archive.

The DAM book is a nice overview of the workflow process and has given me much to ponder.  However I liked PM enough to buy a license and for now will be using it within my workflow.

Jim

Offline Ed Zirkle

• Newcomer
  • never grow up...
    • View Profile
    • Slightly sane photographer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »
Greetings...

What I am finding is after shooting I can have 2, 4, 6 or more sets of images on a disk and need different sets of IPTC info for each set of images...  so I have been using MS Win Exporer to make dir's and do a simple copy and then us PM to do changes and edits...

I like the idea of moving through the folders, 1,2,3,4 etc... but am afraid as I have done in the past they will never get to the folder I need if I don't do it right then...

I am not sure if this is helpful to the discussion...  we, at the studio, are testing and learning the 'best' digital work flow for our work and then we will be teaching classes...  so, since there is no one best way all of this is of great interest to us...

Is there a digital work flow discussion only group?

Thanks for listening...

Ed
Feed the Shark...