Author Topic: Live Ingest into a Droplet  (Read 3416 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Live Ingest into a Droplet
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
tried searching the archives for this, but no joy.

Is there a way for PM to direct the images captured through live ingest to a droplet?

Background:
1. I have created a CS5 droplet to do my chromakey process.  Drop a green screen image on it and out pops a keyed PSD. This works just fine.
2. I am using NKRemote to acquire images during a shoot into a folder that PM is doing a live ingest on.  PM is setting IPTC data and plopping (yes, one of those technical photography terms) into a two folders (primary and backup). This works just fine as well.
3. Now, I would LOVE to know how I can direct one of those live ingest streams toward the droplet I have created so that when I am done with the shoot, all of my images have already been keyed and I just need to clean up the few that didn't key cleanly and I still have my backup folder of untouched images in case all @&(%@_$ goes wrong with the droplet.

Ideas?

-Mike

Nikon cameras
Windows 7
HP Laptop
PM 4.6.8
PSCS 5.1 64-bit

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Live Ingest into a Droplet
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »
Mike,

tried searching the archives for this, but no joy.

Is there a way for PM to direct the images captured through live ingest to a droplet?

Background:
1. I have created a CS5 droplet to do my chromakey process.  Drop a green screen image on it and out pops a keyed PSD. This works just fine.
2. I am using NKRemote to acquire images during a shoot into a folder that PM is doing a live ingest on.  PM is setting IPTC data and plopping (yes, one of those technical photography terms) into a two folders (primary and backup). This works just fine as well.
3. Now, I would LOVE to know how I can direct one of those live ingest streams toward the droplet I have created so that when I am done with the shoot, all of my images have already been keyed and I just need to clean up the few that didn't key cleanly and I still have my backup folder of untouched images in case all @&(%@_$ goes wrong with the droplet.

Ideas?

Live Ingest just copies files.  It has no facility to execute external applications on each file as it is copied.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »
Bummer!!!

Ok, move this one over to the "Enhancement Request" category please. 

Thanks!

-mike

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:49:23 AM »
Having live ingest to be able to trigger a droplet would be really cool - BTW I didn't know a file put in a droplet needs to be executed. I thought it is done when it is moved into the droplet.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:08:39 AM »
I have a temporary work around. I am using a folder monitoring utility that fires every time a file is added or changes. It sends the filename(s) to the droplet. Can't remember the name at the moment.

Need to "stress test" this strategy. I seem to remember that there are limits to how many files can be dropped onto a droplet. Also curious as to what happens if I shoot multiple, separate bursts into the folder.

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
Just to close out this thread for others that search on this topic, the utility I am using is called "File Watcher" and cost me a whopping $24 USD.  You can set up rules in it to monitor a folder and as each image (or batch of images) comes into a watched folder, it will send those images to a droplet (or any other EXE or BAT file) you specify.  Very good customer service from the Aussie author to correct a bug I found in early testing that prevented it from working on large groups of images.  All fixed now with version 3.3.

With this setup, I am able to shoot wirelessly with my Eye-Fi which comes into a folder in the laptop.  File Watcher then shoots that image to a droplet that does chromakey knockout and drops the result into another folder.  PM is running in Hot Folder mode to apply IPTC meta data.

When I get home from the shoot, all the images are ready to composite.  All I have to do separate the images by subject so the right images go with the right order.

-M