Author Topic: Info text on PSD files  (Read 8617 times)

Offline Tony Fiorda

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Info text on PSD files
« on: October 09, 2006, 05:38:58 PM »
Kirk,

I may be crazy, but I thought this was fixed a few versions ago, maybe not.   ;D

After ingesting JPEGs, adding the stationary during import, editing and then saving out as PSD files, when I look at the PSD file in PM 4.4.3.3 on a WinXP sp2 machine, not all of the INFO is displayed.  I see it in the original JPEG and in PSCS2 file info. 

Do I have an option not set right to make sure that all IPTC and XMP data are there? See attachment.

Anyway, just a nit, not anything that I can't work around.

Thanks,

Tony...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:42:24 PM by Tony Fiorda »
Tony...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Info text on PSD files
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 05:42:42 PM »
Tony,

I may be crazy, but I thought this was fixed a few versions ago, maybe not.   ;D

After ingesting JPEGs, adding the stationary during import, editing and then saving out as PSD files, when I look at the PSD file in PM 4.4.3.3 on a WinXP sp2 machine, not all of the INFO is displayed.  I see it in the original JPEG and in PSCS2 file info. 

Do I have an option not set right to make sure that all IPTC and XMP data are there? See attachment.

Anyway, just a nit, not anything that I can't work around.

What specifically is missing?  What variables are you evaluating?

-Kirk

Offline Tony Fiorda

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:43:54 PM »
Kirk,

I just edited the post with a couple of jpegs that show the options and the info text.

Tony...
Tony...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 06:48:05 PM »
Tony,

I just edited the post with a couple of jpegs that show the options and the info text.

Did you have the "Preserve EXIF info" checkbox unchecked when you did the Save As?

-Kirk

Offline Tony Fiorda

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 04:58:17 AM »
Hey Kirk,

"Preserve EXIF Info" is checked in PM but...the workflow wasn't using PM at that time.  I opened the JPEG file from PM via "Edit Photo", edited and saved as PSD in PSCS2, then switched back to PM.  I rarely use PM to 'Save As' as I've always done that after editing.

BTW the 'Ignore EXIF profile tag' check box is unchecked in PSCS2 File Handling properties preferences.

I've tried the 'Save As' from PM this morning and it preserved the 'File Properties', 'IPTC legacy and core', data in the PSD file when viewing Image Info in PM.   Camera EXIF data didn't transfer.

When not using the 'Save As' from PM but from PSCS2, all data seems to be there according to the 'File Properties' they just don't show in the Info Text area of PM.

I can send a couple of files if you need them.

Thanks for your support!

Tony.. 
Tony...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 06:59:29 AM »
Tony,

"Preserve EXIF Info" is checked in PM but...the workflow wasn't using PM at that time.  I opened the JPEG file from PM via "Edit Photo", edited and saved as PSD in PSCS2, then switched back to PM.  I rarely use PM to 'Save As' as I've always done that after editing.

BTW the 'Ignore EXIF profile tag' check box is unchecked in PSCS2 File Handling properties preferences.

I've tried the 'Save As' from PM this morning and it preserved the 'File Properties', 'IPTC legacy and core', data in the PSD file when viewing Image Info in PM.   Camera EXIF data didn't transfer.

When not using the 'Save As' from PM but from PSCS2, all data seems to be there according to the 'File Properties' they just don't show in the Info Text area of PM.

I can send a couple of files if you need them.

Thanks for your support!

That explains it then.  Recent versions of Photoshop tuck that information away in the XMP data.  We do not interpret this information from XMP but expect it to be maintained as real EXIF data.  I'll check with Dennis to see if he wants to fall back to XMP-EXIF when EXIF itself is not found.

-Kirk

Offline Tony Fiorda

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 07:09:48 AM »

That explains it then.  Recent versions of Photoshop tuck that information away in the XMP data.  We do not interpret this information from XMP but expect it to be maintained as real EXIF data.  I'll check with Dennis to see if he wants to fall back to XMP-EXIF when EXIF itself is not found.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Good morning!  I thought it might be something with the way Photoshop does things.  :)  Just let me know what you guys decide.  Like I said it's just a nit, but it would be nice to see that info in PM.

Thanks!

Tony...
Tony...