Author Topic: What field does PM use for Time and Date?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
What field does PM use for Time and Date?
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:55:30 PM »
I'm synchronizing some metadata between and excel spreadsheet and about 5000 image files. I'm almost done except that I can't seem to figure out what field you are using for Time and Date. Is there an XMP field I can use to migrate that data?

Thanks,

Edward McCain
www.mccainphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What field does PM use for Time and Date?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:46 AM »
Edward,

I'm synchronizing some metadata between and excel spreadsheet and about 5000 image files. I'm almost done except that I can't seem to figure out what field you are using for Time and Date. Is there an XMP field I can use to migrate that data?

There are multiple dates and times possible in a photo.  One is the Capture Time/Date which is in EXIF data and is provided by the camera at the time the photo is taken.  Another is the IPTC Date/Time which is stored in IPTC/XMP data.  A third is the Creation Date/Time which is the time/date that the file is created on the file system.

So if you're looking for XMP, the field is "DateCreated" in the Photoshop name space: "http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/"

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
Edward,

There are multiple dates and times possible in a photo.  One is the Capture Time/Date which is in EXIF data and is provided by the camera at the time the photo is taken.  Another is the IPTC Date/Time which is stored in IPTC/XMP data.  A third is the Creation Date/Time which is the time/date that the file is created on the file system.

So if you're looking for XMP, the field is "DateCreated" in the Photoshop name space: "http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/"

HTH,

-Kirk

I've tried using XMP:DateCreated, but it isn't the same date as what PM is showing in the ITPC Info window where the fields are "Time and Date." I can use DateCreated to migrate the metadata, but it would be nice to be able to confirm that it is the right date in PM before I embed that metadata into the files. What field is being used to store the data displayed in the ITPC Info window?

Thanks,

Edward

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
Edward,

I've tried using XMP:DateCreated, but it isn't the same date as what PM is showing in the ITPC Info window where the fields are "Time and Date." I can use DateCreated to migrate the metadata, but it would be nice to be able to confirm that it is the right date in PM before I embed that metadata into the files. What field is being used to store the data displayed in the ITPC Info window?

It depends on your IPTC/XMP Preferences in Photo Mechanic.  If you've instructed PM to read XMP before IPTC then it is the DateCreated field as described above.  Otherwise it will come out of a binary IPTC record field, and if that doesn't exist, it will use the EXIF Capture Date/Time tag.

-Kirk

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »

It depends on your IPTC/XMP Preferences in Photo Mechanic.  If you've instructed PM to read XMP before IPTC then it is the DateCreated field as described above.  Otherwise it will come out of a binary IPTC record field, and if that doesn't exist, it will use the EXIF Capture Date/Time tag.

-Kirk

What is a binary IPTC record field and how would it show up? I know this is not your area, but would it show up in ExifTool?

Thanks,

Edward

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
Edward,

What is a binary IPTC record field and how would it show up? I know this is not your area, but would it show up in ExifTool?

Binary refers to the way the data is encoded.  If you look at an IPTC record in a file editor, much of the structure is just numbers, but the strings of text are human readable.

ExifTool should be able to present the data for you.

-Kirk

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
I appreciate your help. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks,

Edward