Author Topic: Changing filenames manually  (Read 3282 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Changing filenames manually
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
When changing a filename manually, or when changing a folder name in the favourites sidebar, I have noticed that PM will not allow me to make only an uppercase or lowercase change. In other words, a photo named "bob smith" cannot be changed to "Bob Smith". The only way to do it is in 2 steps; first change something else as well as the case, like "Bob Smith 1", then go back in again and remove the "1".

Not sure if this is normal, and if it was done on purpose for some reason. It certainly isn't a life-changing issue as it isn't that common that I'm changing names manually, but I found myself having to do the 2-step name change a fair bit on a particular project recently and it became a bit of a pain, so thought I'd mention it to see if it could be changed. Thanks.

(PM 4.6.8 on Mac OS 10.6)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Changing filenames manually
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:43:55 AM »
Confirm, same on 10.7 Lion. Files residing on Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Not a big thing but I can understand it can be pain at times.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:28:43 AM »
When changing a filename manually, or when changing a folder name in the favourites sidebar, I have noticed that PM will not allow me to make only an uppercase or lowercase change. In other words, a photo named "bob smith" cannot be changed to "Bob Smith". The only way to do it is in 2 steps; first change something else as well as the case, like "Bob Smith 1", then go back in again and remove the "1".

Not sure if this is normal, and if it was done on purpose for some reason. It certainly isn't a life-changing issue as it isn't that common that I'm changing names manually, but I found myself having to do the 2-step name change a fair bit on a particular project recently and it became a bit of a pain, so thought I'd mention it to see if it could be changed. Thanks.

Unless the file system that you're working with is case-sensitive, this is expected.  On non-case-sensitive (but case-preserving) file systems,  'bob smith' and 'Bob Smith' are the same name so the file system won't allow the name change.  You'll have to use the two step process you described.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »

Unless the file system that you're working with is case-sensitive, this is expected.  On non-case-sensitive (but case-preserving) file systems,  'bob smith' and 'Bob Smith' are the same name so the file system won't allow the name change.  You'll have to use the two step process you described.

-Kirk

Right... I guess I was just assuming that if the OSX Finder allowed me to do it, PM should allow it too. Not a big deal... after about 8 years of using PM this particular project I'm working on is the first time I've run into it often enough to be an issue. Thanks anyway.