Author Topic: Support for Leica M9 DNG files?  (Read 26489 times)

Offline Mark S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Support for Leica M9 DNG files?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 10:42:59 AM »
There haven't been many people requesting we use the WIC in Photo Mechanic.

As a Leica-Windows user, I find that disappointing. A Leica DNG is about all that WIC in PhotoMechanic would be used for anyway as most modern RAW files have a large enough preview embedded. Perhaps this is a "chicken & egg" thing as Leica-Windows user evaluating PM may not realize this is possible and dismiss PM because all they ever see in PM is a thumbnail of their DNG file (and because they dismiss PM, there are very few Leica-Windows PM users to make the request).

Thank you for considering this,
Mark  
-- Mark --

Offline mskuma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
As a long time PM user & now a new Leica M9 user on Windows, I'm surprised that PM (v4.6.7) doesn't support these DNG files. I put my request in, but sounds unlikely to be supported.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 02:12:21 AM »
I don't own a leica m9 so I can't test to be sure, bit wouldn't touching the file in Lightroom or Adobe Camera raw and having it update the embedded preview be a work-around?

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Mark S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
wouldn't touching the file in Lightroom or Adobe Camera raw and having it update the embedded preview be a work-around?

Not really. It would make for a really awkward workflow. PM is more of an upstream part of the workflow (injest, bulk metadata, rank & cull) rather than a downstream process (raw conversion, post processing, output, catalogue).

The way it is now PM forces the Windows-Leica(in-camera dng) user to do the ranking and culling in a separate application. I am not sure why a Windows-Leica user would buy PM unless they had other camera bodies that they were working with. I still think a WIC friendly PM is the way to go, particularly if Camera Bits hopes to widen their market with a cataloging module.

-- Mark --
-- Mark --

Offline mskuma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
I agree with Mark - is there any plan to support Leica in the future?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 04:43:21 PM »
I agree with Mark - is there any plan to support Leica in the future?

Cataloging is our focus for now and for the foreseeable future.

-Kirk

Offline mskuma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
Thanks Kirk. It would be great if you could please add M9 support to the development roadmap.

Offline jaygrabiec

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »
I could really use .DNG support as well since I just got an M9. I've been using Photo Mechanic for years and would really miss it if you can't come up with support for these files.

Offline Mark S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
Not ideal, but a workaround nonetheless, is to shoot DNG+JPG on the M9 (or M8 or GXR-M). It is extra file clutter and baggage handling but it allows for a more logical workflow that incorporates PM's efficiencies.

I've never really thought of Microsoft Windows and Leica M as fringe products - I must be really radical since I use cash too.

-- Mark --
-- Mark --