Author Topic: Two Feature Requests  (Read 10832 times)

Offline Eldor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Two Feature Requests
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
There are two things I would love to see changed in a future version of PM...

First of all, I'd like to see the CONSISTENT use of an acceptance button... EITHER "Ok" or "Yes", but not Ok in one spot and Yes in another.  Having this different behavior in different parts of the program just slows me down.

Second, I'd like to see the option of "Warn" for duplicate name resolution when doing operations that currently result in a duplicate image being renamed with one of the several renaming options offered.  I often do NOT want another image in my folder and simply wasn't aware that one already existed.  I have a bunch of folders with "collections" that I add to, and I want to be able to add missing images instead of adding them again but with new names.

Thanks for considering these...

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
Re: Two Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
Definite 'me too' on the option for duplicate file warning....
Marc
Marc

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
There are two things I would love to see changed in a future version of PM...

First of all, I'd like to see the CONSISTENT use of an acceptance button... EITHER "Ok" or "Yes", but not Ok in one spot and Yes in another.  Having this different behavior in different parts of the program just slows me down.

It would help if you could make note of the exceptions and list them here.  If you'll help me out in this regard, I'll do what I can to fit it into the development schedule for PM5.  If screenshots are easier, feel free to attach JPEGs using the Additional Options... link when you're composing your reply.  There you can select your files to attach.

Quote from: Eldor
Second, I'd like to see the option of "Warn" for duplicate name resolution when doing operations that currently result in a duplicate image being renamed with one of the several renaming options offered.  I often do NOT want another image in my folder and simply wasn't aware that one already existed.  I have a bunch of folders with "collections" that I add to, and I want to be able to add missing images instead of adding them again but with new names.

Are you looking for an alert box or just some message text in the renaming interface?

-Kirk

Offline Eldor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your reply.

As far as the consistent use of an acceptance button goes, take DELETE for example.  If you are in thumbnail view and you want to delete an (or many) image(s), the acceptance button is "OK"  However, if you're in Preview view mode, the acceptance button is "YES".  That's most annoying and it really slows me down.

Regarding the case where images might already exist and are currently copied regardless (but get a suffix added to the name) I would like to see some sort of warning that an image with that name already exists, giving the user the choice of continuing or aborting.  And the continuing could either overwrite the file or rename it (would be nice to have the option).  So an alert box with something like "Filename already exists.  Continue anyway?  Yes or Cancel" would work. 

And here are two more feature requests (sorry):

When renaming an image (at least for me) most of the time it's to add something extra to an existing name and some of the names I have to deal with are rather long.  It's frustrating to have to type in the whole name and it's possible that mistyping can occur.  My suggestion is that the renaming dialog should already be filled in with the existing name of the file so we could easily select the whole thing and delete it, or simply click in it to make a minor change.

Also when using the Copy/Move dialog, when we click on the button next to the "Copy to this folder" field, would it be possible to have the resulting "Browse for folder" dialog positioned so that the currently selected folder is visible in the dialog?  It's a pain to have to scroll (in some cases WAY) down to get to the current folder so that a sub-folder could be selected.

Thanks very much for your consideration...

Eldor

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »
When renaming an image (at least for me) most of the time it's to add something extra to an existing name and some of the names I have to deal with are rather long. 

It's already been there for several versions. You can easily rename files inline, just press ENTER when any one file is selected in the contact sheet. CMD-M rename is usualy used just for multiple files rename at once, and here you can use variables easily to just add something to the filenames preserving the first part.

Offline Eldor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »
When renaming an image (at least for me) most of the time it's to add something extra to an existing name and some of the names I have to deal with are rather long. 

It's already been there for several versions. You can easily rename files inline, just press ENTER when any one file is selected in the contact sheet. CMD-M rename is usualy used just for multiple files rename at once, and here you can use variables easily to just add something to the filenames preserving the first part.

Good stuff!  Thank you for pointing that out.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »
Eldor,

As far as the consistent use of an acceptance button goes, take DELETE for example.  If you are in thumbnail view and you want to delete an (or many) image(s), the acceptance button is "OK"  However, if you're in Preview view mode, the acceptance button is "YES".  That's most annoying and it really slows me down.

I'll look into those two examples.

Regarding the case where images might already exist and are currently copied regardless (but get a suffix added to the name) I would like to see some sort of warning that an image with that name already exists, giving the user the choice of continuing or aborting.  And the continuing could either overwrite the file or rename it (would be nice to have the option).  So an alert box with something like "Filename already exists.  Continue anyway?  Yes or Cancel" would work. 

Overwriting a file is against the philosophy of Photo Mechanic.  We won't make this change.

And here are two more feature requests (sorry):

When renaming an image (at least for me) most of the time it's to add something extra to an existing name and some of the names I have to deal with are rather long.  It's frustrating to have to type in the whole name and it's possible that mistyping can occur.  My suggestion is that the renaming dialog should already be filled in with the existing name of the file so we could easily select the whole thing and delete it, or simply click in it to make a minor change.

Use inline renaming like Frantisek said.  Or if you want to use the Rename dialog anyway, use {filenamebase} and then add your additional characters.  Variables are very useful in cases like these.

Also when using the Copy/Move dialog, when we click on the button next to the "Copy to this folder" field, would it be possible to have the resulting "Browse for folder" dialog positioned so that the currently selected folder is visible in the dialog?  It's a pain to have to scroll (in some cases WAY) down to get to the current folder so that a sub-folder could be selected.

What OS platform are you running?

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:31 AM »

Overwriting a file is against the philosophy of Photo Mechanic.  We won't make this change.

-Kirk

Understood, but does this negate the option of being able to cancel an action when it is going to create files with duplicate names....(which in our case would almost always be a mistake).
Marc

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
Marc,

Understood, but does this negate the option of being able to cancel an action when it is going to create files with duplicate names....(which in our case would almost always be a mistake).

It was my understanding that the original request was to have a warning appear in the Renaming dialog if any renaming collisions were to occur.  This is indeed doable.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
Hi, Kirk
I would like to see this kind of warning in PM.
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »
Marc,

It was my understanding that the original request was to have a warning appear in the Renaming dialog if any renaming collisions were to occur.  This is indeed doable.

-Kirk

Awesome! Happy Holidays!
Marc

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 01:58:07 AM »

-Kirk

For some people a warning box might keep them from making a mistake, but for others a warning box would simply add another step to their workflow.

I don't recall ever creating duplicates in the same folder by mistake. However, I frequently create duplicates in the same folder on purpose, while PM appends the filename to avoid a conflict. I think the way PM handles the process was well thought out, and I would not want to see additional steps added to slow things down. Unless of course it was a preference that could be selected, or not.