Author Topic: "Save As" Feature that allows uniform file size  (Read 4138 times)

Offline tjcowie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"Save As" Feature that allows uniform file size
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »
I realize that we can individually "Save As" files and select their approximate file size when saved.  I would love an application that allows me to select any number of photos and "Save As" all of them at a maximum file size.  For instance, if I selected 20 photos that ranged from 1 mb to 20 mb and wanted to save them all at a maximum file size of say - 2 mb, I could select this size.  All of the files greater than 2 mb, would be saved as a 2 mb file and the those that were 1 mb to 1.99 mb in size would be "Saved As" their current file size (since they were already below the requested 2 mb size).

In principle, PM already has this ability, but does not have the ability to do so across a number of files.  I realize that you can sort by file size and save in that fashion, but this adds to workflow and is not as efficient as needed.  Most wire services require a range of file sizes when uploading under deadline.  Typically between 1 and 3 mb.  To sort and try to save files to meet these requirements adds significant time to the workflow process and ends up being something that adds the most unnecessary time to meeting deadlines.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Save As" Feature that allows uniform file size
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »
I realize that we can individually "Save As" files and select their approximate file size when saved.  I would love an application that allows me to select any number of photos and "Save As" all of them at a maximum file size.  For instance, if I selected 20 photos that ranged from 1 mb to 20 mb and wanted to save them all at a maximum file size of say - 2 mb, I could select this size.  All of the files greater than 2 mb, would be saved as a 2 mb file and the those that were 1 mb to 1.99 mb in size would be "Saved As" their current file size (since they were already below the requested 2 mb size).

In principle, PM already has this ability, but does not have the ability to do so across a number of files.  I realize that you can sort by file size and save in that fashion, but this adds to workflow and is not as efficient as needed.  Most wire services require a range of file sizes when uploading under deadline.  Typically between 1 and 3 mb.  To sort and try to save files to meet these requirements adds significant time to the workflow process and ends up being something that adds the most unnecessary time to meeting deadlines.

This is very likely to be implemented in version 5.0 of Photo Mechanic coming in the first quarter of 2012.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: "Save As" Feature that allows uniform file size
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
I am looking forward to this feature. It will indeed be very useful for my workflow.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi