Author Topic: sorting by time only  (Read 2790 times)

Offline lephotography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
sorting by time only
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »
Is there a way to sort by time only (not by date).  I had shot a wedding with 3 cameras, and on one of the camera I accidentally had the date 1 day ahead of the other two.  The time was correct but the date was wrong.  When I go to sort the pictures by captured time, it placed all the pictures from that third camera at the very bottom, because the date was one day ahead. 

I would like to be able to sort only by time so that all the pictures would fall into place.  Can I make PhotoMechanic ignore the date?  How do I do that, and have it sort only by time?

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Re: sorting by time only
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
Why not use Photo Mechanics "Adjust Capture Date and Time" function to change the date of the erroneous images? It's in the "Tools" menu and works like a charm.

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:43:37 AM »
Is there a way to sort by time only (not by date).  I had shot a wedding with 3 cameras, and on one of the camera I accidentally had the date 1 day ahead of the other two.  The time was correct but the date was wrong.  When I go to sort the pictures by captured time, it placed all the pictures from that third camera at the very bottom, because the date was one day ahead.  

I would like to be able to sort only by time so that all the pictures would fall into place.  Can I make PhotoMechanic ignore the date?  How do I do that, and have it sort only by time?

When in contact sheet view, in the sorting choice window it says filename, expand the choices and select capture time. Then select all the ones with the wrong dates and change the dates using the tool as mentioned in the other post.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:47:01 AM by Rguzmanphoto »

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »
Is there a way to sort by time only (not by date).  I had shot a wedding with 3 cameras, and on one of the camera I accidentally had the date 1 day ahead of the other two.  The time was correct but the date was wrong.  When I go to sort the pictures by captured time, it placed all the pictures from that third camera at the very bottom, because the date was one day ahead. 

I would like to be able to sort only by time so that all the pictures would fall into place.  Can I make PhotoMechanic ignore the date?  How do I do that, and have it sort only by time?

When in contact sheet view, in the sorting choice window it says filename, expand the choices and select capture time.
That option uses both date and time, so it won't solve the poster's problem. It is possible to create a custom sort using just the time variables.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »

That option uses both date and time, so it won't solve the poster's problem. It is possible to create a custom sort using just the time variables.

Actually a date/time sort is exactly what is needed to get the photos grouped (at the bottom as noted by the OP) so the photos can be selected and the date correction applied.

Correcting the date seems like a far better choice than just sorting on time and living with it. It is one of those things that would come back and bite you in the butt at exactly the wrong time if you don't fix it...

Jerry