Author Topic: Photomechanic v5 announced, early 2012 release  (Read 16300 times)

Offline vasha

• View Profile
Re: Photomechanic v5 announced, early 2012 release
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Kirk,
Some Catalog questions so I know what I will have to ask of management at our newspaper....

Will Catalog work for machines on a LAN that do not have photo mechanic? We have two users (me and our other photog) using photo mechanic while three sports and six news people sadly do not use photo mechanic and often need to find photos (mostly located on a photo server machine). If a copy of Catalog is located on the Photo Server Machine, will it be able to track images on the Photo server, and images on each photographer's machine and images on a second server that is used for production temp storage of images? And will non-Photo Mechanic machines be able to access Catalog and find images? Would their access of Catalog allow them to see images visually (as opposed to seeing only image filenames) so they could then choose the image they are looking for?
Or would we need nine more copies of Photo Mechanic or 12 licenses of Catalog in order for everyone to find images?

Also, if PM is required to access Catalog, will PM 5 be the only version that does so? I'll be buying Catalog along with PM 5 upgrade the day it launches for my personal machines, but our two company computers are still limited to 4.4.3.3 due to lack of budget.

My hope is that one Catalog license can find and track all images across multiple machines and server in a single building, and allow both Photo Mechanic users and machines without photo mechanic to access some form of search that allows keyword/slug/partial caption searches and returns visual representations of found files (so that a search for "AU #16 FB" returns visual results that a sports editor can then say "I like that one of #16 making a catch, and besides that the other image is #16 from six years ago"). Will Catalog do all this from one copy? Or will I have to convince management to but lots of Catalog or Photo Mechanic Licenses? (I'd love to get them all working on PM at some point but budgets are thin).

Thanks for your always excellent support Kirk!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 06:33:17 AM »
Vasha,

Some Catalog questions so I know what I will have to ask of management at our newspaper....

Will Catalog work for machines on a LAN that do not have photo mechanic? We have two users (me and our other photog) using photo mechanic while three sports and six news people sadly do not use photo mechanic and often need to find photos (mostly located on a photo server machine). If a copy of Catalog is located on the Photo Server Machine, will it be able to track images on the Photo server, and images on each photographer's machine and images on a second server that is used for production temp storage of images? And will non-Photo Mechanic machines be able to access Catalog and find images? Would their access of Catalog allow them to see images visually (as opposed to seeing only image filenames) so they could then choose the image they are looking for?
Or would we need nine more copies of Photo Mechanic or 12 licenses of Catalog in order for everyone to find images?

Everyone would need a license of Photo Mechanic Catalog in order to satisfy your scenario.

Quote from: Vasha
Also, if PM is required to access Catalog, will PM 5 be the only version that does so? I'll be buying Catalog along with PM 5 upgrade the day it launches for my personal machines, but our two company computers are still limited to 4.4.3.3 due to lack of budget.

All users will have to have Photo Mechanic Catalog.

Quote from: Vasha
My hope is that one Catalog license can find and track all images across multiple machines and server in a single building, and allow both Photo Mechanic users and machines without photo mechanic to access some form of search that allows keyword/slug/partial caption searches and returns visual representations of found files (so that a search for "AU #16 FB" returns visual results that a sports editor can then say "I like that one of #16 making a catch, and besides that the other image is #16 from six years ago"). Will Catalog do all this from one copy? Or will I have to convince management to but lots of Catalog or Photo Mechanic Licenses? (I'd love to get them all working on PM at some point but budgets are thin).

[sounding like a broken record...] All users will have to have Photo Mechanic Catalog.

Later on we may add a web-based interface for searching but it isn't planned for the 5.0 series.  So for some time period all users will need a full licensed copy of Photo Mechanic Catalog in order to add photos to or search for photos.

-Kirk

Offline vasha

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
I'm probably jumping the gun asking this now but will there be a group licensing option, like a 10-pack or 20-pack of PM Catalog at a discount?
Thanks for your help Kirk!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
Vasha,

I'm probably jumping the gun asking this now but will there be a group licensing option, like a 10-pack or 20-pack of PM Catalog at a discount?
Thanks for your help Kirk!

I think our online store already offers discounts at purchases of five or more items.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 03:25:40 AM »
[sounding like a broken record...] All users will have to have Photo Mechanic Catalog.

Later on we may add a web-based interface for searching but it isn't planned for the 5.0 series.  So for some time period all users will need a full licensed copy of Photo Mechanic Catalog in order to add photos to or search for photos.

The web-based solution would sound really good. Not only budget wise as in the example asked by Vasha but more likely for remote access. You have PM Catalog running on your server or home machine that has the files locally and you may access it from any remote computer while away with a laptop or possibly with a smartphone or tablet too.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline TAdams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 02:24:04 AM »
Hello,

I am curious if there are any screen shots available at the moment of the general layout of PM 5.0?

Thank you,
Tom

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »
Tom,

I am curious if there are any screen shots available at the moment of the general layout of PM 5.0?

No, not at this time.  But we'll have some in a couple of months.

-Kirk

Offline TAdams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 02:22:37 AM »
Tom,

No, not at this time.  But we'll have some in a couple of months.

-Kirk

Thank you Kirk, I appreciate the information!

Best regards,
Tom

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Hi, Kirk
Thanks for your quick reply.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi