Author Topic: Appending a variable in Copyright URL (or other fields)  (Read 2101 times)

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Appending a variable in Copyright URL (or other fields)
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.8 on Mac OS 10.6.8 on an intel Macbook Pro.

I know the PM supports appending information in the Caption, Caption Writers and Keywords field, but I have a situation where I don't want to erase the data already in the Copyright URL field, but I want to append metadata from another field (using a variable, I suppose) and separate the two strings with a comma. Is there a way to do this so that I don't lose information?

Thanks,

Edward McCain
www.mccainphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Appending a variable in Copyright URL (or other fields)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
Edward,

I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.8 on Mac OS 10.6.8 on an intel Macbook Pro.

I know the PM supports appending information in the Caption, Caption Writers and Keywords field, but I have a situation where I don't want to erase the data already in the Copyright URL field, but I want to append metadata from another field (using a variable, I suppose) and separate the two strings with a comma. Is there a way to do this so that I don't lose information?

You could try the following in your IPTC Stationery Pad's Copyright field:

{copyright}, {other field variable}

Apply it to a single photo and see how it does.  If it works for you then you're good to go.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:42:59 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Kirk.

Well, I don't actually want the information from the Caption field in the Copyright URL field. I want to keep the information currently in the Copyright URL field and add the information from the Title field. Perhaps I should do a workaround and copy the metadata in the Copyright URL field and the Title field into another, empty, field and then move the concatenated information back into Copyright URL? I basically wanted to confirm that there was or wasn't some command or function that I could use to do this without any fancy footwork.

Edward
www.mccainphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
Edward,

Well, I don't actually want the information from the Caption field in the Copyright URL field. I want to keep the information currently in the Copyright URL field and add the information from the Title field. Perhaps I should do a workaround and copy the metadata in the Copyright URL field and the Title field into another, empty, field and then move the concatenated information back into Copyright URL? I basically wanted to confirm that there was or wasn't some command or function that I could use to do this without any fancy footwork.

I mistakenly put {caption} where I meant {copyright}.

There is no append feature for the Copyright field.

-Kirk

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Okay, but darn it!

Edward
www.mccainphoto.com