Author Topic: Uploader feature to keep track of what sites images are uploaded to?  (Read 8252 times)

Offline TAdams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
 I am testing out the Uploader at present and I have a question or two. It is not uncommon for a photographer -pro or novice- to have multiple sites that they upload to. For instance Gallery 2 and Flickr and lets say an FTP. I really like the indicator on the Original image that displays not uploaded/currently uploading/uploaded. However, is there any built in ability to determine what site(s) that particular image has been uploaded to via Photo Mechanic?

If this can be set somehow, or is available already and I am simply missing it, I would really appreciate knowing. If it does not exist would it be possible to use a slightly modified IPTC Stationery Pad for each uploader account that could be referred to in the image info? Likewise, if someone has an idea for some method that would work, I would appreciate it as well. Could this be something that is planned for the next version of PM?

Thank you,
TAdams

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Uploader feature to keep track of what sites images are uploaded to?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
I am testing out the Uploader at present and I have a question or two. It is not uncommon for a photographer -pro or novice- to have multiple sites that they upload to. For instance Gallery 2 and Flickr and lets say an FTP. I really like the indicator on the Original image that displays not uploaded/currently uploading/uploaded. However, is there any built in ability to determine what site(s) that particular image has been uploaded to via Photo Mechanic?

No, there is no such feature that tracks where images have been sent.  It has been requested a number of times however.

Quote from: TAdams
If this can be set somehow, or is available already and I am simply missing it, I would really appreciate knowing. If it does not exist would it be possible to use a slightly modified IPTC Stationery Pad for each uploader account that could be referred to in the image info? Likewise, if someone has an idea for some method that would work, I would appreciate it as well. Could this be something that is planned for the next version of PM?

Implementing such a feature is not currently planned for version 5 of PM.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
How about adding an indication like this to one of the unused (by you) IPTC fields manually yourself?
While not perfect, this way you can at least see the information if you need to.

HTH
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
I am saving a copy of the transmitted image in a subfolder of the original images using the "Save copy of transmitted photos"-feature of the ftp-dialogue.
I have this set up for every FTP-connection I am using.
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline TAdams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
Kirk,

Thank you very much for the quick response. It is in no way a deal breaker, but it would be a very useful aid. In my short trials, I cannot begin to tell you how much time simply having the Gallery2 uploader has saved me. If you were to add a Picasa/Google + uploader along with a Facebook uploader, I would be set!

Thank you also Hayo Baan and SK-Foto, I will experiment and see which will work best for me. I appreciate the input!

Best regards,
TAdams

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
While not perfect, you can use the log feature of the uploader to save the logs of uploads to each site. Just define the upload with the log file name and  location, then save the setting for the uploads to that site.

That way you'll have a history, it just won't be with the image.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
Keeping track of transmit history in the IPTC of photos can be a bad idea considering these info can be seen by customers (or anyone) you submit your pictures orhave access to them. And you don't necesarily want to give this information out of your hands.
Keepig sent photos in a subfolder seems a much cleaner way from this perspective. Of course it could hepl if PM would offer somethingfor this for example in the catalog feature.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »
By the way if PM Catalog offers any sort of tagging or folder structure other than OS file system sturcure and IPTC fields then you can simply solve the problem using those - however not automatically but in a structured way at least. Say you put your sent phtos into a smartfolder called sent to xy and you will see there what you sent to that customer.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
I myself like to use the feature of saving to a "Sent" sub-folder.
I think it is a practical and easy way to keep track of your sent photos.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi