Author Topic: Capture Time Changes with Photoshop?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline mcarlson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Capture Time Changes with Photoshop?
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:36:38 AM »
Greetings,

Using PM 4.6.8 on OSX 10.6.8 Intel Mac and editing with Photoshop CS5 Extended.

When I sort edited files by capture time, PM seems to use the time the photo was edited in PS rather than the capture time - when I look at the IPTC the capture time is still there, but when I look at the preview the time listed is the edit time...is there something in PS that I may have changed inadvertently since this seems to have just started in the past couple of weeks?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture Time Changes with Photoshop?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
Using PM 4.6.8 on OSX 10.6.8 Intel Mac and editing with Photoshop CS5 Extended.

When I sort edited files by capture time, PM seems to use the time the photo was edited in PS rather than the capture time - when I look at the IPTC the capture time is still there, but when I look at the preview the time listed is the edit time...is there something in PS that I may have changed inadvertently since this seems to have just started in the past couple of weeks?

The time listed in the IPTC Info dialog is the IPTC date/time and is independent of the capture date/time in the EXIF data.  Perhaps Photoshop is modifying the EXIF capture date/time when you save the file.

-Kirk

Offline mcarlson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »
Thanks...I'll have to try and figure out what I may have done/checked/unchecked as this wasn't an issue until recently...

Offline mcarlson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
Not that it matters much, but figured out what I had done - I did my initial cropping through PhotoMechanic and somehow the "Preserve EXIF" option was toggled off, so the Creation Time was getting updated every time the file was saved.  Problem solved.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks for following up.

-Kirk