Author Topic: PM and german settings  (Read 8728 times)

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and german settings
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »
Pre-sale questions:

PM 4.6.8 on german XP:

- I tried to load an own set of german keywords (with german characters) into PM . The keywords txt-file was saved before as UTF-8 within Notepad++ editor. Looking into PM the german characters are displayed as a questionmark. PM IPTC is set to Microsoft Lat1+Euro. How to fix that?

- Alamy: They do have a different handling of their keywords. They have three different form fields for the keywords. How can someone set up PM working seamlessly with Alamy?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and german settings
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:36:27 AM »
Pre-sale questions:

PM 4.6.8 on german XP:

- I tried to load an own set of german keywords (with german characters) into PM . The keywords txt-file was saved before as UTF-8 within Notepad++ editor. Looking into PM the german characters are displayed as a questionmark. PM IPTC is set to Microsoft Lat1+Euro. How to fix that?

How were you loading your keywords file into PM?  (Which dialog did you use to load your keywords?)

Quote from: Andymann
- Alamy: They do have a different handling of their keywords. They have three different form fields for the keywords. How can someone set up PM working seamlessly with Alamy?

I know nothing about Alamy.  Perhaps another user of PM can comment, or you could ask other Alamy users about PM.

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
How were you loading your keywords file into PM?  (Which dialog did you use to load your keywords?)

I load them via the structured keyword panel, then clicking on load and choose the utf-8 file. Then the keywords with german characters do appear in the list, but instead of the character I see a questionmark.

I know nothing about Alamy.

Alamy has different keyword fields. I have no idea how they correspond to the IPTC-scheme. In the past there was other software like iView available which had have a special option to keyword for Alamy. Would be great if PM can offer this too. In the Alamy-Forum other users are talking similar about PM and Alamy. Just ask Alamy what requirements are necessary. Perhaps it isn't that difficult? To purchase PM it is important for me to know if you can handle this or not. I can send a screenshot of Alamy's keyword manage window.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »

I load them via the structured keyword panel, then clicking on load and choose the utf-8 file. Then the keywords with german characters do appear in the list, but instead of the character I see a questionmark.

Can you post your file here?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

I know nothing about Alamy.

Alamy has different keyword fields. I have no idea how they correspond to the IPTC-scheme. In the past there was other software like iView available which had have a special option to keyword for Alamy. Would be great if PM can offer this too. In the Alamy-Forum other users are talking similar about PM and Alamy. Just ask Alamy what requirements are necessary. Perhaps it isn't that difficult? To purchase PM it is important for me to know if you can handle this or not. I can send a screenshot of Alamy's keyword manage window.

I would suggest just filling in every field that we offer (just put the name of the field in each field) and upload a picture to Alamy and then view it.  You should see all that PM offers that intersects with what Alamy offers.  If you see blank fields for some of the Alamy keyword fields then we just don't offer those fields.

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:51:35 AM »
Here is the text-file, saved with Notepad++ as UTF-8 and a screenshot of Alamy's keyword section. As far as I know from other PM-users and Alamy contributors the problem is that Alamy has dividided the keywords into several form fields, plus the limitation of characters. Isn't there a workaround to have PM working with Alamy's requirement? Or a tutorial how I can set up perhaps the settings by myself? I'm not a software engineer:-(
Would be great to have just one piece of keywording software for at least Alamy and another german client. Many others missing the Alamy function too I red in their forum.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 07:01:49 AM »
Here is the text-file, saved with Notepad++ as UTF-8 and a screenshot of Alamy's keyword section. As far as I know from other PM-users and Alamy contributors the problem is that Alamy has dividided the keywords into several form fields, plus the limitation of characters. Isn't there a workaround to have PM working with Alamy's requirement? Or a tutorial how I can set up perhaps the settings by myself? I'm not a software engineer:-(
Would be great to have just one piece of keywording software for at least Alamy and another german client. Many others missing the Alamy function too I red in their forum.

Please read:

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/captions-keywords-descriptions.asp

They only support IPTC in a very limited (and arbitrary in my opinion) way.  The IPTC Caption field is used, but only a very limited number of characters are used.  The IPTC Keywords are used but they are also clipped off at a short limit and only are applied to the "comprehensive keywords" field in Alamy.

They don't appear to expose the ability to pre-setup any other fields via IPTC or any other standards-based methods like XMP.

I would be surprised if any software is capable of allowing you to edit a caption suitable for direct submission to Alamy.

As for your text file, it was not UTF-8.  It was encoded in ISO-Latin-1.  I have re-encoded it as UTF-8 and have attached it to this message.

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:32:08 AM »
Now the txt-file works fine. Thanks.

I would be surprised if any software is capable of allowing you to edit a caption suitable for direct submission to Alamy.

For your suprise check out this keywording software for example:

http://a2zkeywording.com/showdetail.php?id=46&title=News

But as I understand you, no Alamy compliant keywording is or will be possible with PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:58:13 AM »
Now the txt-file works fine. Thanks.

For your suprise check out this keywording software for example:

http://a2zkeywording.com/showdetail.php?id=46&title=News

But as I understand you, no Alamy compliant keywording is or will be possible with PM.

Correct.

Please read this part though from the link you provided:

"Keyword Perfect now automatically divides and places the appropriate number of keywords into the Essential, Main and Comprehensive keyword boxes.  The program also places brackets around all multi-word phrases, allows you to easily change those brackets to quotation marks, and move keywords from one box to another, before you paste them into the corresponding boxes on Alamy's online submission page."

So while they allow a UI that looks like Alamy's, it sounds like you still have to copy and paste from A2Z's UI to Alamy's UI when submitting.  Their software just makes it a little less cumbersome.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:30:02 AM »
I've load my structured german vocabulary into PM. But all of a sudden the pre-installed sample english keyword lists had dissappeared. Why is that? And how can I re-install the original english keyword lists side by side to my german keyword list?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »
I've load my structured german vocabulary into PM. But all of a sudden the pre-installed sample english keyword lists had dissappeared. Why is that? And how can I re-install the original english keyword lists side by side to my german keyword list?

If you quit PM and then delete your current "StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt" file which is in the following location on Mac OS X:

/Users/your user name/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt

Then when you startup PM again, the sample keywords will be loaded.  You can then Merge your German keywords with the sample keywords.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 09:33:34 AM »
That works, thanks Kirk. I'd just purchased PM:-)

I've installed the CV 3 into the structured keyword list. And now I want to have my german keyword list merging into it. But both should not mixed up in alphabetical order. That means. I would like to have all german keywords on the top of the list. Then a seperator line with a description like "English", after that seperator line the CV should be listed. Is that possible?

How can I remove most of your FTP-templates? I just need simple FTP-connection, no Flickr and stuff like that.

Thanks
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
Andy,

That works, thanks Kirk. I'd just purchased PM:-)

I've installed the CV 3 into the structured keyword list. And now I want to have my german keyword list merging into it. But both should not mixed up in alphabetical order. That means. I would like to have all german keywords on the top of the list. Then a seperator line with a description like "English", after that seperator line the CV should be listed. Is that possible?

Yes, but for big global changes like that I recommend editing the text file with a text editor.  How about you upload your current file and I'll edit for you and send it back to you?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your structured keywords file.  Or if you don't feel comfortable with that, click on my name to the left of this message and send me a personal message and I'll give you an email address where we can work together on this issue.

How can I remove most of your FTP-templates? I just need simple FTP-connection, no Flickr and stuff like that.

You cannot easily eliminate them for good.  You can delete them, but you'd have to do that each time you update PM since they're part of the application install.  You shouldn't really be bothered by them since the Uploader will remember which template you used last time and make sure it's preselected the next time you use the Uploader.

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
O.k. thanks. Tomorrow I will make my german keyword list available for you.

Good to hear that the uploader will remember my favorite setting, so no deletion is necessary.