Author Topic: Variable Field to rename photos  (Read 3177 times)

Offline millerstreet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Variable Field to rename photos
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
I'm trying to find a way to rename photos that keep a certain part of the original file name. As I can't seem to take a screen shot, I'll go into detail here.

Original file name:  jes_lo-5467.jpg
Name I'd like to rename to:  jesuit_lakeoswego-5467.jpg

"5467" is part of the .dng that id's the jpg to the original raw image. Renaming to -01, -02, -03 is convenient, but to go back and try and find the file (keywords notwithstanding, I know...), numbers for me are easier. Is there a variable for this?  Exact examples would be great (I'm to the age where I need good details :)

Using PM 4.6.7 on Windows 7 Pro (32bit).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Variable Field to rename photos
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
I'm trying to find a way to rename photos that keep a certain part of the original file name. As I can't seem to take a screen shot, I'll go into detail here.

Original file name:  jes_lo-5467.jpg
Name I'd like to rename to:  jesuit_lakeoswego-5467.jpg

"5467" is part of the .dng that id's the jpg to the original raw image. Renaming to -01, -02, -03 is convenient, but to go back and try and find the file (keywords notwithstanding, I know...), numbers for me are easier. Is there a variable for this?  Exact examples would be great (I'm to the age where I need good details :)

Using PM 4.6.7 on Windows 7 Pro (32bit).

Use this as your Rename string:

jesuit_lakeoswego-{filenamebase:-4}

The above uses the last four letters of the current filename which will be appended to the new name (jesuit_lakeoswego-)  Page 51 of the manual explains Variable Substring Extraction in more detail.  You can get the manual here:

http://www.camerabits.com/download/Photo_Mechanic_4.6.3_Manual.pdf

HTH,

-Kirk