Author Topic: Pixelated ? Images  (Read 15290 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Pixelated ? Images
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
PM 4.6.8 Mac OS 10.6.8 There is a situation which is occurring more and more frequently when viewing images in PM. After PM has been opened for a bit the images go from being clean looking to having a pixelated or over-sharpened appearance. The only way I've found to get back to clean looking images is to quit and re-start PM. In these instances PM won't quit using the standard quit command, but will require a force quit. The images have been edited in NX2. I don't see the pixelated images in other browsers. I've attached two images showing the changes. Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Pixelated ? Images
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
Richard,

PM 4.6.8 Mac OS 10.6.8 There is a situation which is occurring more and more frequently when viewing images in PM. After PM has been opened for a bit the images go from being clean looking to having a pixelated or over-sharpened appearance. The only way I've found to get back to clean looking images is to quit and re-start PM. In these instances PM won't quit using the standard quit command, but will require a force quit. The images have been edited in NX2. I don't see the pixelated images in other browsers. I've attached two images showing the changes.

I haven't seen anything like that before.  Try lowering your Memory Cache a bit and see if it goes away.  Otherwise we're going to need sample files to try and reproduce the issue.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »
Hi Kirk: thanks for the reply. I'll lower the cache from 128 to 64 MB to see if that makes a difference. Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »
Richard,

Hi Kirk: thanks for the reply. I'll lower the cache from 128 to 64 MB to see if that makes a difference. Richard

128 is already quite low.  I expected that you might have it much higher like 1024.

It must be something else.  I'll have others on the team look at your example images and see if we can come up with any ideas.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 07:47:43 AM »
Kirk: sounds great. What's most annoying is that the pixelation seems to be occurring with a greater frequency. Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: sounds great. What's most annoying is that the pixelation seems to be occurring with a greater frequency.

Do you have Preview sharpening turned on?  If so, try turning it off and see if that helps.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
Kirk: sharpening has never been on in Preview. Would you like me to send you a file? The appearance of the fuzziness is random, but once it appears, it stays. As mentioned before, the only way to get rid of it is to quit PM and quitting PM requires a force quit. Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:41:25 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: sharpening has never been on in Preview. Would you like me to send you a file? The appearance of the fuzziness is random, but once it appears, it stays. As mentioned before, the only way to get rid of it is to quit PM and quitting PM requires a force quit.

Does this problem only happen in specific folders or with all folders you browse?  If there is a problem image in a folder that causes an image loader thread to never finish loading an image then quitting PM will fail to occur (PM always shuts down all of its threads on quit and if one of the image loader threads never exits, then PM will wait indefinitely.)

If you were to take your sample image above and duplicate it a number of times (enough to match the total number of photos that were in the folder it originally resided in) and then browse the folder with PM, will the problem occur eventually?

I haven't had the chance to talk with the rest of the team yet about this issue due to the holidays.  Hopefully we can discuss it today.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:00:20 AM »
Kirk: the problem will occur with any image(s) in any folder(s). There has never been a problem with an image failing to load. There are 32 images in this folder. Can I move some of them so as not to have to duplicate the NEF 32 times? Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:52 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: the problem will occur with any image(s) in any folder(s). There has never been a problem with an image failing to load. There are 32 images in this folder. Can I move some of them so as not to have to duplicate the NEF 32 times?

Are you sure sharpening is turned off?  There are two settings for sharpening, one in the Contact Sheet pane and one in the Preview pane.

Can you get me your sample image?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
Kirk: sharpening has never been on in either the Contact Sheet or Preview pane. As a further bit of info, an image will start out clear and then develop its fuzziness over time as the folder is left open. How do I get you the image? Richard
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:19:35 PM by rbsandor »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: sharpening has never been on in either the Contact Sheet or Preview pane. As a further bit of info, an image will start out clear and then develop its fuzziness over time as the folder is left open. How do I get you the image?

Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »
Kirk: I sent you some files last week. Have you been able to determine anything? Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: I sent you some files last week. Have you been able to determine anything?

Not yet.  I was on vacation from Tuesday through the weekend.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Kirk: any update? Thanks, Richard