Author Topic: Photo Mechanic not updating EXIF Image Description or EXIF Copyright  (Read 7557 times)

Offline jonathanpow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I have a bit of a major problem with Photo Mechanic, when changing/updating the 'IPTC Info' I notice the EXIF of the 'Info' is not updated when the altered, this essentially leaves two bits of information on the image.

This has caused problems recently when reading in different software, as I have ended up with two copyright strings and two captions. For example the image attached has different information under 'EXIF Image Description' and 'IPTC Caption' (when viewed in Opanda IExif 2), where they should be the same.

Please advise,

Kindest regards,

Jonathan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic not updating EXIF Image Description or EXIF Copyright
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Jonathan,

I have a bit of a major problem with Photo Mechanic, when changing/updating the 'IPTC Info' I notice the EXIF of the 'Info' is not updated when the altered, this essentially leaves two bits of information on the image.

This has caused problems recently when reading in different software, as I have ended up with two copyright strings and two captions. For example the image attached has different information under 'EXIF Image Description' and 'IPTC Caption' (when viewed in Opanda IExif 2), where they should be the same.

PM doesn't edit EXIF description tags.  It only edits IPTC/XMP fields in general.  The EXIF fields that PM does modify have to do with GPS coordinates and capture date/time.

The software that shows two different values is showing two different fields.  PM only edits the IPTC/XMP related of the two.

-Kirk

Offline jonathanpow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:46:08 PM »
Ah right, I didn't know that.

What could be changing (and indeed creating the EXIF bit of the info)? Because my work-flow consists of Photo Mechanic and Photoshop only. That is I rename, caption and tag in Photo Mechanic and do a quick edit in Photoshop. The image isn't altered in anything else or loaded into anything else.

When I upload stuff on-line, that's when the discrepancies showed themselves, the upload itself doesn't alter the file though.

Kindest regards,

Jonathan

Offline stevephotos1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
I am having the same issue with caption info showing up in the EXIF. I use only Photo Mechanic to write draft captions for images and upload them into an online archive system. When the captions are finalized and then later downloaded from the archive, the archive system overwrites any existing IPTC caption info with the most recent version. The archive system does not touch EXIF data.
However, when I view the image file properties in Windows or OSX, or upload into Fickr or Wordpress, the original caption that was written in Photo Mechanic appears in the description field, not the most recent caption that was written by the archive system into the IPTC data. If I view in PhotoMechanic or Photoshop the most recent IPTC caption appears.
It seems platforms that are looking at EXIF data are seeing the original Photo Mechanic caption. Platforms that read IPTC see the updated caption that was written by my archive system.
See the attached photo as an example.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »
Steve,

I am having the same issue with caption info showing up in the EXIF. I use only Photo Mechanic to write draft captions for images and upload them into an online archive system. When the captions are finalized and then later downloaded from the archive, the archive system overwrites any existing IPTC caption info with the most recent version. The archive system does not touch EXIF data.
However, when I view the image file properties in Windows or OSX, or upload into Fickr or Wordpress, the original caption that was written in Photo Mechanic appears in the description field, not the most recent caption that was written by the archive system into the IPTC data. If I view in PhotoMechanic or Photoshop the most recent IPTC caption appears.
It seems platforms that are looking at EXIF data are seeing the original Photo Mechanic caption. Platforms that read IPTC see the updated caption that was written by my archive system.
See the attached photo as an example.

No attachment.

Photo Mechanic does not create or update the EXIF description tag.  Some other piece of software in your workflow is doing this.

-Kirk

Offline stevephotos1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, Kirk. Photo Mechanic is the only piece of software I use in my workflow for IPTC editing.
Can I email you a sample image?

When I try to attach here, I get:
Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the quick response, Kirk. Photo Mechanic is the only piece of software I use in my workflow for IPTC editing.
Can I email you a sample image?

Sure.  Send me a private message and I'll get you an email address.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »
Steve,

We analyzed your JPEG image.  It contains an IPTC Caption from your online system and a TIFF Description tag in its EXIF data that contains the IPTC Caption data you entered with Photo Mechanic earlier in your workflow.  Since Photo Mechanic does not create or update the TIFF Description tag in EXIF data in JPEGs, it is very likely that the online system created this data when the photo was imported into its system.

There isn't anything that can be done about this in Photo Mechanic, the fault lies outside of Photo Mechanic and is somewhere else in your workflow (likely the online editing system that you use.)

-Kirk