Author Topic: Problem applying IPTC data to D200 raw files  (Read 4084 times)

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Manuel Llaneras Photography
Problem applying IPTC data to D200 raw files
« on: October 18, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »
If I apply IPTC data to D200 raw files in PM and then bring them into Capture One 3.7.4 to do the raw conversions I experience a couple of problems.  First, the color of the thumbnails and preview in Capture One is way off.  The images look green.  After the color is corrected and I open the resulting processed jpg in Photoshop I experience another problem.  In Photoshop the image resolution is 1 dpi. The file size is correct, but as you can imagine that at 1 dpi that is a image over 13,000 inches long! :o  That can be fixed, but of course, it is extra work.

I did not experience this issue with other cameras.  I know I can work around this by either, not applying IPTC data to the raw images or applying the "revert tiff based raw to original" option in the tools menu of photo mechanic and using an XMP sidecar file.

Is the problem with Photo Mechanic, or with Capture One, or both?  Until the problem is fixed is there a cleaner work around solution that does not require the sidecar file? 
Manuel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem applying IPTC data to D200 raw files
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »
If I apply IPTC data to D200 raw files in PM and then bring them into Capture One 3.7.4 to do the raw conversions I experience a couple of problems.  First, the color of the thumbnails and preview in Capture One is way off.  The images look green.  After the color is corrected and I open the resulting processed jpg in Photoshop I experience another problem.  In Photoshop the image resolution is 1 dpi. The file size is correct, but as you can imagine that at 1 dpi that is a image over 13,000 inches long! :o  That can be fixed, but of course, it is extra work.

I did not experience this issue with other cameras.  I know I can work around this by either, not applying IPTC data to the raw images or applying the "revert tiff based raw to original" option in the tools menu of photo mechanic and using an XMP sidecar file.

Is the problem with Photo Mechanic, or with Capture One, or both?  Until the problem is fixed is there a cleaner work around solution that does not require the sidecar file? 

The problem is with Capture One: they do not parse RAW files correctly. They expect certain data to be in precise locations, which is something they should not count on.  In this case the only solution is XMP sidecar files, but then again Capture One to my knowledge does not import metadata from XMP files.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Manuel Llaneras Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:09:33 AM »
Thanks for your quick response.  I will contact Capture One about this.   You are right about Capture One not importing data from XMP files.  The only way the IPTC data stays with the image through out the workflow (from ingestion of raw image with PM to output to jpg with Capture one) is to imbed it, but that causes the problems I described before.  It looks like at the moment, and with the tools i am using (Nikon D200, Photo mechanic, Capture One) I don't have a way to input metadata at the start of the workflow and expect it to stay with the image until it is output as a tif or jpg. :( If there's solution I'd love to hear it.
Manuel

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:29:49 PM »
Manuel,

The problem may not actually be Capture One's fault per se, but rather an issue with the encrypted (or "encoded") white balance.  If Capture One is using Nikon's supposed mini-SDK for reading this encrypted white balance, then this could be the cause of the color shift.  There are ways to work around using this mini-SDK with PM-captioned files that I devised for Thomas Knoll, and it sounds like Capture One will have to take a similar path.  The issue of a resolution of 1 DPI is potentially a separate issue from the encrypted white balance, and could indeed be a failure of Capture One to properly parse the NEF file.  PM can fix this resolution without having to open your file in Photoshop.  See the Tools menu...

As far as a workaround, if you must use Capture One, then you could just use XMP sidecar files, then merge the XMP into a processed JPEG from Capture One (if that is your output) as long as the base filename is the same.  Not ideal of course.  What would be ideal is if everyone were to parse TIFF-based RAW files correctly.

--dennis