Author Topic: Search relative to GPS Coordinates  (Read 7998 times)

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
Search relative to GPS Coordinates
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »
Kirk et al.

I use latitude/longitude geo-tagging as a fundamental "classification" of my images.

As a result, I'm curious to know whether PM v5 will have the ability to search image folders and list images taken within a specified distance of a specified location.

Thanks

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search relative to GPS Coordinates
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
Peter,

I use latitude/longitude geo-tagging as a fundamental "classification" of my images.

As a result, I'm curious to know whether PM v5 will have the ability to search image folders and list images taken within a specified distance of a specified location.

It's not something we're planning at this time.  But you can currently create a custom sort, set your 'Home' GPS location and sort by distance in version 4.6.x

-Kirk

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »
Peter,

It's not something we're planning at this time.  But you can currently create a custom sort, set your 'Home' GPS location and sort by distance in version 4.6.x

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk.

Yes I'm aware of that technique but was hoping it might have been developed under the new cataloging module.

C'est la vie!

Peter

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
Peter,

-Kirk

Actually, with the cataloging module will the sorting of images, in this case according to Lat/Long, be faster?

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
Peter,

Actually, with the cataloging module will the sorting of images, in this case according to Lat/Long, be faster?

Some types of sorting will be much faster.  I haven't tested that kind of custom sort with images from a catalog yet.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:01:31 AM »
Hi, Kirk,
Speaking of this, could you please tell me what types of sorting will be much faster with the cataloging module? (I guess capture time is one of them).
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »
Luiz,

Speaking of this, could you please tell me what types of sorting will be much faster with the cataloging module? (I guess capture time is one of them).

Sorts by Capture Time, Modification Time, Tag, Rating, and Color Class.  This information is cached in a database (nothing to do with Cataloging however) so once PM 'sees' a file it is cached and subsequent sorts are accelerated.

-Kirk

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
Luiz,

Sorts by Capture Time, Modification Time, Tag, Rating, and Color Class.  This information is cached in a database (nothing to do with Cataloging however) so once PM 'sees' a file it is cached and subsequent sorts are accelerated.

-Kirk

OK, so it is the database which will influence sort speeds. Seems geo-coordinates set by PM are a notable omission from the above-mentioned sort list.

I may be confused as to what the new Cataloging module will do. At this point, it it possible for a brief description of its range of functions?

Thanks

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
Peter,

OK, so it is the database which will influence sort speeds. Seems geo-coordinates set by PM are a notable omission from the above-mentioned sort list.

A database, yes, but not the database that the Catalogs are stored within.  It is a separate Sort Cache database.  Custom sorts are not accelerated because since they can be customized there would be no end to what would have to be cached in order to satisfy all custom sorts.

Quote from: pshrutpark
I may be confused as to what the new Cataloging module will do. At this point, it it possible for a brief description of its range of functions?

I really don't have the time to go into much detail.  I'm really busy coding right now.  It will be a fairly fully featured cataloging system with some unique features.  You will be able to search on various criteria and organize your photos into your own topology.

-Kirk

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
Peter,

A database, yes, but not the database that the Catalogs are stored within.  It is a separate Sort Cache database.  Custom sorts are not accelerated because since they can be customized there would be no end to what would have to be cached in order to satisfy all custom sorts.

I really don't have the time to go into much detail.  I'm really busy coding right now.  It will be a fairly fully featured cataloging system with some unique features.  You will be able to search on various criteria and organize your photos into your own topology.

-Kirk

Thanks for the light-speed reply!

Is it possible that geo-coordinates should not be a "customized" sort/search, but be one of the "standard" ones?

Wont distract you from your coding further.

Peter