Author Topic: Faster browsing of multiple folders  (Read 8430 times)

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Faster browsing of multiple folders
« on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:23 PM »
Hi Kirk,
just want to raise my finger for another small improvement, which i'm still missing.
It's the browsing in the navigator, which is still not very fast to accomplish,
if you need to go quickly across several folder and view it's contens.
I'm sure you know the freeware tool xnview from http://www.xnview.org,
which is not comparable to the specific functionality to PM, but has a very nice
browsing feature which allows much faster browsing across the folders.
Is there any consideration already going on, to include something like this in
the next major release..??
Kind regards, Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Faster browsing of multiple folders
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 02:36:10 PM »
Mike,

just want to raise my finger for another small improvement, which i'm still missing.
It's the browsing in the navigator, which is still not very fast to accomplish,
if you need to go quickly across several folder and view it's contens.
I'm sure you know the freeware tool xnview from http://www.xnview.org,
which is not comparable to the specific functionality to PM, but has a very nice
browsing feature which allows much faster browsing across the folders.
Is there any consideration already going on, to include something like this in
the next major release..??

It looks like another photo browser app to me.  What specifically about it makes it easier to "go quickly across several folder and view it's contens."?

I can't really take the time right now to download and become familiar with someone else's software, so please tell me what specifically Photo Mechanic needs to do to become more efficient?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 04:23:57 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your quick answer.. Youre right, actually it is another browser.. but not a bad one.. maybe worth to have a quick look at..
Well.. the neat thing about this browsing feature is, that you are able to just click once on the folder, and you instantly see its thumbnail contens in the right side of the screen, while keeping the folder display visible on the left. So you dont have to open the folder display everytime.

Maybe it's nice to just show the folder contents, when you click once on the folder in the folder display.. and when double-clicked, it will be kept in the top selection as the other folders.

Kind regards, Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:38:16 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for your quick answer.. Youre right, actually it is another browser.. but not a bad one.. maybe worth to have a quick look at..
Well.. the neat thing about this browsing feature is, that you are able to just click once on the folder, and you instantly see its thumbnail contens in the right side of the screen, while keeping the folder display visible on the left. So you dont have to open the folder display everytime.

Maybe it's nice to just show the folder contents, when you click once on the folder in the folder display.. and when double-clicked, it will be kept in the top selection as the other folders.

Is this some kind of overlay window that shows a few thumbs for each folder, or is it opening up a "contact sheet window"?

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:07:59 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Hmmm.. good question..
its rather hard to describe.. to me, it's looks like rather static.. each time you click on a different folder in the folder tree on the left side, the thumbnails of that folder appear in the same window on the right side.. like in a contact sheet.. so there is no additional window popping up..
understandable ..??

kind regards, Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 06:29:20 AM »
Mike,

Hmmm.. good question..
its rather hard to describe.. to me, it's looks like rather static.. each time you click on a different folder in the folder tree on the left side, the thumbnails of that folder appear in the same window on the right side.. like in a contact sheet.. so there is no additional window popping up..
understandable ..??

Yes.  And basically I plan to offer different options on how contact sheets are opened from the navigator.  Single clicks, double-clicks, replace current contact sheet, open new contact sheet, add folder to current contact sheet.

There was some discussion on this back at the old Rob Galbraith forums.  If anyone would like to start that up again and give me a 'refresher course' on how they would like that to work, I'm all ears...

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »
Hi Kirk,
Sorry for my delayed answer, i was caught by a flu and it took a week to get me back to normal life..
Well, i tried to look into Rob's Forum, but it appears, he sold the forum.. and i cant find the old discussion, as you mentioned.. so, why not trying to browse through folders like in the file explorer.. i dont care, if you open an additional window to show the files, if this is a faster and easier way to implement this feature.. how about that..
Kind regards, Mike

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »
wink.. wink.. still missing an answer  ;D