Author Topic: Would changing 'PhotoMechanicProxy.tif' cause any problem?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
Would changing 'PhotoMechanicProxy.tif' cause any problem?
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »
Hello,

Running PM 4.6.8 on MacOS 10.7.2

I would like to replace the 'PhotoMechanicProxy.tif' image (Photo Mechanic.app > Contents > Resources > PhotoMechanicProxy.tif), with an image that reflects my branding rather than using the PM application icon. Obviously, I will replace the original file with one of the same size, format and name. Is this likely to cause a problem - I have no programming knowledge whatsoever, so haven't a clue about the ramifications of my action.

I have tested this on a duplicate of PM, and it works fine.

Why would I want to do this?
I use PM to export online galleries of images (to enable clients to preview photos and download the hi-res files), and would like to also give my clients the facility to download a zip archive of all the images, saving them from the tedious task of downloading the files one-by-one. The way PM handles proxy files makes this very quick and simple to integrate (thank you). However, I would prefer the image generated by PM to reflect my branding rather than a meaningless (to them) image of the PM logo.

A very quick example generated below:

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Would changing 'PhotoMechanicProxy.tif' cause any problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
Tony,

Running PM 4.6.8 on MacOS 10.7.2

I would like to replace the 'PhotoMechanicProxy.tif' image (Photo Mechanic.app > Contents > Resources > PhotoMechanicProxy.tif), with an image that reflects my branding rather than using the PM application icon. Obviously, I will replace the original file with one of the same size, format and name. Is this likely to cause a problem - I have no programming knowledge whatsoever, so haven't a clue about the ramifications of my action.

I have tested this on a duplicate of PM, and it works fine.

Why would I want to do this?
I use PM to export online galleries of images (to enable clients to preview photos and download the hi-res files), and would like to also give my clients the facility to download a zip archive of all the images, saving them from the tedious task of downloading the files one-by-one. The way PM handles proxy files makes this very quick and simple to integrate (thank you). However, I would prefer the image generated by PM to reflect my branding rather than a meaningless (to them) image of the PM logo.

A very quick example generated below:

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

It should work fine.  You will have to keep updating the file each time you upgrade Photo Mechanic though.

-Kirk

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:35 AM »
It should work fine.  You will have to keep updating the file each time you upgrade Photo Mechanic though.

Excellent, thanks.

Yep, fully understand about it not lasting through updates, and I guess it may even break completely when v5 is released.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
Tony,

Excellent, thanks.

Yep, fully understand about it not lasting through updates, and I guess it may even break completely when v5 is released.

It should be the same procedure for v5.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:25:18 AM »
Brilliant idea Tony!   Can I predict that you'll submit an enhancemnent request to control location and filename of the image file?  :)