Author Topic: Off colours  (Read 3709 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Off colours
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
I converted a bunch of images to a printer colour profile using PS.  I happened to load those images back into PS, and also into PM.  In PS they display fine, whereas in PM they appear off colour and washed out (see attached screen capture: PM on left, PS on right).

In PM preferences, both "color manage thumbnails" and "color manage previews" are ticked.  When I untick them, the colours appear more saturated, but definitely still off compared to what they should be (particularly in the reds), just as I would expect.

So why do things not look right in PM with "color manage" on?  These converted images even display nicely in the Windows Explorer window.

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Off colours
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »
I converted a bunch of images to a printer colour profile using PS.  I happened to load those images back into PS, and also into PM.  In PS they display fine, whereas in PM they appear off colour and washed out (see attached screen capture: PM on left, PS on right).

In PM preferences, both "color manage thumbnails" and "color manage previews" are ticked.  When I untick them, the colours appear more saturated, but definitely still off compared to what they should be (particularly in the reds), just as I would expect.

So why do things not look right in PM with "color manage" on?  These converted images even display nicely in the Windows Explorer window.

Is your monitor calibrated?  Are you displaying images in PM on your main display?

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:14:09 AM »
Is your monitor calibrated?  Are you displaying images in PM on your main display?

Yes (eye-one) and yes (I only have a single monitor).  In case the monitor profile had somehow become detached, I just re-calibrated and installed a new monitor profile.  And I still see the same issue in PM.  In any case, shouldn't PS and PM both display the same, if both are managing colour profiles in the same way and displaying to the same monitor? 

Mike

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:45:50 AM »
Kirk -- I emailed you an example JPG exhibiting this to see if you see the same at your end, or can see why I might be seeing this.

Mike

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »
Mike,

Kirk -- I emailed you an example JPG exhibiting this to see if you see the same at your end, or can see why I might be seeing this.

I'll try to get to it as soon as I can, but I'm really busy right now working on PM5.

At this point I'd say that PM is ignoring your profile because it is a printer profile and not a display profile.  But I'd have to investigate further which will take time.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:14:58 AM »
I'll try to get to it as soon as I can, but I'm really busy right now working on PM5.

At this point I'd say that PM is ignoring your profile because it is a printer profile and not a display profile.  But I'd have to investigate further which will take time.

Sure; looking forward to PM5 (with catalog!) with more eagerness than having your answer to this point, so understand the priorities.

Re possibly ignoring the profile, as I said in my OP, PM displays the image differently depending on whether I have "color manage" in PM ticked, so it can't be completely ignoring the profile can it?  Unless it is perhaps ignoring the embedded profile, assigning a default profile instead, and displaying colours based on that.  I think the default profile is set to sRGB and I understand that the printer colour profile is not that far off sRGB, so I'd be surprised if the effect would be as stark as shown in my OP.  However, I must confess to not fully understanding colour profiles (especially display vs printer profiles), but would think that a profile is a profile is a profile, whether you feed the output RGB numbers to a monitor or to a printer (of course, there may be profiles that convert to e.g. CMYK but I don't think this is one of them... in any case, both PS and good old MS Windows seems to interpret and display these converted images in the same way, so it is a bit suprising that PM interprets them differently).

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »
Mike,

Sure; looking forward to PM5 (with catalog!) with more eagerness than having your answer to this point, so understand the priorities.

Re possibly ignoring the profile, as I said in my OP, PM displays the image differently depending on whether I have "color manage" in PM ticked, so it can't be completely ignoring the profile can it?  Unless it is perhaps ignoring the embedded profile, assigning a default profile instead, and displaying colours based on that.  I think the default profile is set to sRGB and I understand that the printer colour profile is not that far off sRGB, so I'd be surprised if the effect would be as stark as shown in my OP.  However, I must confess to not fully understanding colour profiles (especially display vs printer profiles), but would think that a profile is a profile is a profile, whether you feed the output RGB numbers to a monitor or to a printer (of course, there may be profiles that convert to e.g. CMYK but I don't think this is one of them... in any case, both PS and good old MS Windows seems to interpret and display these converted images in the same way, so it is a bit suprising that PM interprets them differently).

The issue is that the profile is huge (1.4 MB) and at this time PM only supports profiles up to 1 MB.  I have modified PM5 so that it will allow up to 4 MB profiles.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
OK, thanks.