Author Topic: Convert to profile other than sRGB?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Convert to profile other than sRGB?
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »
When doing a "Save photo as..." it would be nice to be able to convert to a profile other than sRGB... is that possible by some other means in PM?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Convert to profile other than sRGB?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
When doing a "Save photo as..." it would be nice to be able to convert to a profile other than sRGB... is that possible by some other means in PM?

No, there is no such feature.

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:24:31 AM »
I deal with a lot of sRGB images (from other people) that I have to convert to AdobeRGB - this functionality would certainly be nice to have.

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »
And presumably not much extra coding effort, since converting to sRGB is presumably much the same as converting to any other profile (quite possibly a total over simplification :))

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:54:41 AM »
Ben,

I deal with a lot of sRGB images (from other people) that I have to convert to AdobeRGB - this functionality would certainly be nice to have.

Yes, but are these images just tagged with an sRGB profile or have the pixels of the image been converted to fit within the sRGB color space?  If they've been converted to a small gamut color space like sRGB, then converting the image AdobeRGB shouldn't get you a pristine larger gamut image.  Some data is lost in the conversion.  And if you're going to modify the pixels and save them again (as a JPEG) then more quality will be lost.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:55:53 AM »
And presumably not much extra coding effort, since converting to sRGB is presumably much the same as converting to any other profile (quite possibly a total over simplification :))

It wouldn't be difficult to add such a feature.  I just won't have time to do so for the foreseeable future.

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:22:56 AM »

Yes, but are these images just tagged with an sRGB profile or have the pixels of the image been converted to fit within the sRGB color space?  If they've been converted to a small gamut color space like sRGB, then converting the image AdobeRGB shouldn't get you a pristine larger gamut image.  Some data is lost in the conversion.  And if you're going to modify the pixels and save them again (as a JPEG) then more quality will be lost.

-Kirk

These are generally straight-from-camera pictures. Agree on what you say regarding minimal/no benefit in converting to a wider-gamut color space, it's more a question of my organisation standardising all output images on one color space, which in this case is AdobeRGB. Such a feature isn't essential for me, I can always convert with PS, but it would certainly make a nice option.