Author Topic: Using XMP data from other products  (Read 2215 times)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using XMP data from other products
« on: February 04, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »
PM Version: 4.6.8
Windows Visat 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit

I have been using a different product for keywords, cataloging and rating.  This number and color ratings in this product are not compatible with PM or Adobe products.  I can, however, same the data from this product to XMP files which are recognized by PM.  Is there a way that I can then have PM apply these ratings from XMP directly to the file so that I can then delete the XMP files?

Just want to add a note that getting back into Photo Mechanic has been made much easier by finding answers to most of my questions in this, and other, forums. 

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Using XMP data from other products
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »
PM Version: 4.6.8
Windows Visat 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit

I have been using a different product for keywords, cataloging and rating.  This number and color ratings in this product are not compatible with PM or Adobe products.  I can, however, same the data from this product to XMP files which are recognized by PM.  Is there a way that I can then have PM apply these ratings from XMP directly to the file so that I can then delete the XMP files?

What is the file type of the image that the XMP file is associated with?

-Kirk

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
NEF files.  These seem to work just fine when rating from within PM, it would just be nice if I could transfer the ratings from an XMP file in.  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
NEF files.  These seem to work just fine when rating from within PM, it would just be nice if I could transfer the ratings from an XMP file in.  I hope that makes sense.

You might be able to use the Update IPTC/XMP tool (on the Tools menu) for this purpose.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
Bingo!  Looks like that works just fine.  Now I just need to figure out how to get the other program to output XMP files in a batch and then I should be good to go.

Thanks a lot, what great response and help on a Saturday.